Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Smart Passion back in July '10. It is a brand new '09 model which only had 13 miles on it when I got it. The odometer is reaching almost 8,000 miles now.

I have had to take my car back to Smart Center Buckhead in Atlanta on 3 separate occasions (coming up #4 this week!) for the check engine light coming on. Each time it has been the same problem which is the temperature sensor in the computer.

The last time they brought in an engineer from Birmingham, AL to fix my car. I thought it was all fixed this time (the 3rd time) but the light came on yet again, this past Saturday. And, yes, I did think of checking the gas cap each and every time.

If there is anyone out there that can tell me if they are having the same problems with these various sensors going out on the computer? Mine has been the temperature sensor every time. I would like more info. as to what other people are going through with their check engine light problems and is my case isolated, or not so much?

Thanks,

Robbie

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Hard to say unless we get maybe an error code from the computer. Usually when the CEL (check enging light) goes on you get an error code from the computer. It should be listed on the work order when you get your car back. Otherwise, when the light goes on, you can stop by most auto parts place stores and they will read the code for you (usually free)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Check Engine Light; no code

It's 3 degrees (F) here in Cleveland - or it was according to my Smart car when I went out this morning. The check engine light was on, so I checked my ScanGauge II for the code and it said "no codes found."

I'm hoping it is just the car's way of saying it didn't want to go out in the cold.

I, too, would welcome any thoughts or ideas.

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
FWIW, it was reading -13 on the temp display when I stared mine up this morning (it sits outside all the time.) No problem - fired right up, no CEL, etc. Also had a good look through the pano roof - still no crazing; something must be wrong with it. :p

·
Registered
763 Posts
Heat wave

Went out later that same day and we were up to 12 F. Checked battery voltage on ScanGauge II with engine off and it was 12.2 V. Started up just fine and no check engine light. And, no recurrence of the problem. Seems like a cold-weather anomaly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an ultraguage and had to change the setup for 07 any newer cars I would get check engine light with can data error I think 0004 it still comes on at times and if I disconnect the gauge the light goes off after a few miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts