Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of days when I start my smartie it makes a rumbling noise from the back. This evening when was driving home form work the engine light came on. I just had it in for the 30,000 mile tuneup and am disgusted. It also needed a new starter at that time so it was towed 2 hours to the nearest dealership! Any thoughts on my current engine light or do I need to drive it back to the dealership--2 hours. Should I drive it?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Pull the code...

If the dealer is 2 hours away,
First check all fluids...
Then
Pull the code, an auto parts store should have a reader you can borrow, or will read it for you,
Then either post it here, call the dealer, or look it up on the Internet...
If it's a U00002, that is a aux port, mine did that after service.
Something was plugged into the power socket.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
If it drives and runs fine, it's probably a minor code. Could be something in the emmisions system. Definitely have the local auto parts store read the code first. If it comes up as a P0410 or P2440, it's the secondary air switchover valve. Simple fix, $38 part, and 5 minutes to change. My 08 just popped this code last weekend, luckily I had the part at home as a precaution.

But, a check engine light can be any number of things. Definitely have a local auto parts store pull the code and post here. We should be able to help diagnose from there.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to Auto Zone and got the code P0410 Secondary Air Injection System error readout. We found that a clamp on one of the hoses on the engine came off and the hose was not attached. I bought a hose for $2 and hopefully that will work! THANKS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Is it to possible to have a failing O2 sensor and not pop a code? From reading about O2 sensors the other day, it appears entirely possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts