Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Ford, for helping to ruin our economy by taking hundreds of jobs out of our country and market. Way to be team players when the going gets tough! I guess it is just easier to build a new plant than it is to comply with the EPA, and not to mention the workforce that is happy to do the job for mere pennies on the dollar. Good to see that Ford is so "Green" in their building too, way to save the Rain Forrests......

Sorry, if I offend anyone with that rant.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
maybe if the environmental nazis and the unions would ease up a bit businesses could run like businesses. and kind of funny to rip on Ford for taking jobs out of the USA when you are on an import car forum...???

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
maybe if the environmental nazis and the unions would ease up a bit businesses could run like businesses. and kind of funny to rip on Ford for taking jobs out of the USA when you are on an import car forum...???
Perhaps you'd prefer the "good old days" of uncontrolled air, water, and hazardous waste pollution spewed out by businesses being "run like businesses?" Or maybe a non-unionized labor force working at poverty wages is more to your liking? Why do you think they moved to Brazil in the first place? Are we supposed to lower our living standards so Ford can stay here? Or wouldn't it be better for Ford to be a good corporate neighbor and environmental steward no matter where they go? How is it that other car companies like Honda, Toyota, BMW and others can provide their workers with good wages, meet pollution standards, and still do well in the market without always crying foul about environmental standards and union wages?

It is a complete and utter myth that environmental regulations have had a significant adverse impact on economic activity. This myth has been debunked in several nonpartisan studies. Probably the original and best known of these was done by Prof. Meyer of MIT, who looked at the economic activities of all 50 states and compared those with strict regulations (e.g., California) with those having more lax regulations. Surprisingly, he found that those states with strict regulations consistently out-performed states with lax regulations on all the economic indicators measured. Don't believe me? Check it out yourself at Republicans for Environmental Protection website (a surprise find for me if ever there was one):

The Great "Environment Versus Economy" Myth; John R. E. Bliese, Ph.D.; The Green Elephant; Summer 1999

And I don't see the hypocrisy of ripping on Ford in this forum. The smart cars we buy were not originally made here by a U.S. company, so no American jobs were exported to France and Germany. And, unlike Ford going over to Brazil, France and Germany are not exporting their pollution to the U.S. by sending their polluting companies over here. Rather, smart is making cars in France in probably the most environmentally friendly way. I doubt the French would consider themselves in the same position as the Brazilians who have to breathe, drink, and eat Ford's emissions under the more lax Brazilian pollution standards.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.........and kind of funny to rip on Ford for taking jobs out of the USA when you are on an import car forum...???
.....And I don't see the hypocrisy of ripping on Ford in this forum. The smart cars we buy were not originally made here by a U.S. company, so no American jobs were exported to France and Germany.
my guess here is that in buying an import, you are not supporting the American workforce, but that of the country from which your import came, such as France in the case of smart. if EVERYONE bought an import, there wouldn't be ANY American car manufacturer workforce left.

on the 'flip side' of that equation, i've seen on this forum several times the suggestion that smart build a facility here in the US to take care of the demand for smarts in THIS country. by doing that, wouldn't they just be following in the footsteps of Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc in that THEY have taken away jobs from their own countrys workforce and brought them HERE? ever wonder how they feel about that back in Germany and Japan? we can't have it BOTH WAYS, ya know??????

as for ME buying an 'import'? yea, i'm getting my smart, but i still own my Jeep too....built right here in the good old U.S. of A. in Belvedere Illinois. hey, i like to 'spread the love'!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks Ford, for helping to ruin our economy by taking hundreds of jobs out of our country and market. Way to be team players when the going gets tough! I guess it is just easier to build a new plant than it is to comply with the EPA, and not to mention the workforce that is happy to do the job for mere pennies on the dollar. Good to see that Ford is so "Green" in their building too, way to save the Rain Forrests......

Sorry, if I offend anyone with that rant.....
Anyone bother to think that this plant is used to make cars for the South American market much like BMW, Mercedes, Kia, Toyota, Honda, etc. have plants in the US to make cars for the US market?

Now, agreed chopping down more rainforest to build it was a bone head idea.

·
Registered
599 Posts
this is really something else to see......how the cars are now assembled. wild......:wow:

but also listen as they say how Ford clear acres of 'Rain Forrest' to build this plant......:(

detnews.com | Webvideo | Ford's most advanced assembly plant operates in rural Brazil <http: info.detnews.com="" video="" index.cfm?id="1189"></http:>
No matter where you stand on the environment, labor, etc. you have to admit this plant is not only a technological marvel, but also business genius. There's little to no outsourcing of jobs or parts, AND they have their own port so they can ship product out immediately to its corresponding market.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
No matter where you stand on the environment, labor, etc. you have to admit this plant is not only a technological marvel, but also business genius. There's little to no outsourcing of jobs or parts, AND they have their own port so they can ship product out immediately to its corresponding market.
I don't doubt for a second that the plant is state-of-the-art; that much was clear from the video, and kudos to Ford for integrating all the production and shipping infrastructure into one location. The issue I had was with the post suggesting that Ford would have stayed here if only the eco-nazi regulators and greedy union workers would just give Ford a break. And I also have an issue with Ford clearing rainforest land to make this facility.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
my guess here is that in buying an import, you are not supporting the American workforce, but that of the country from which your import came, such as France in the case of smart. if EVERYONE bought an import, there wouldn't be ANY American car manufacturer workforce left.

on the 'flip side' of that equation, i've seen on this forum several times the suggestion that smart build a facility here in the US to take care of the demand for smarts in THIS country. by doing that, wouldn't they just be following in the footsteps of Toyota, Honda, BMW, etc in that THEY have taken away jobs from their own countrys workforce and brought them HERE? ever wonder how they feel about that back in Germany and Japan? we can't have it BOTH WAYS, ya know??????

as for ME buying an 'import'? yea, i'm getting my smart, but i still own my Jeep too....built right here in the good old U.S. of A. in Belvedere Illinois. hey, i like to 'spread the love'!!!!!!:)
Ford doesn't offer the smart, and the smart was what I wanted, not the Focus or any other existing Ford product. If Ford made the smart, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But they don't, so what's your point? So I'm betraying the American workforce by buying a car from another company even though Ford doesn't offer the car I want? By buying the smart, am I not supporting the American workforce who pilot the cargo vessels into American waters, unload the vehicles at the docks, deliver the cars by road, sell the cars at the smart dealer, underwrite my car loan, and service my car? Do none those people benefit from my purchase of an import?

·
Registered
861 Posts
well, with the current climate in the USA regarding unions and enviromental concerns we will NEVER have thriving manufacturing like we once did whether you like it or not. China, India and others are on the move and it's too bad but the USA will be taking a back seat to this boom and will most likely look like A 3RD WORLD COUNTRY in 20 years.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I suspect a large part of this facility will be used to making cars from the Brazilian and South American market. Just as the many fords that are made for the Euro market are made in, well, Europe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
re: rain forest

I listened 3x and I quote,

"...amid the remnants of the Atlantic rain forest..."

Being on the shore, I'd have to guess this was the first area to be cleared and it probably happened long before 2001.

My read of the above is it'd be like stating that it was built on an abandoned strip mine.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ford's doing job one....stay in business! The main reason that plant is not here is the UAW....which is bent on self destruct. Go back to the old days?!?! NO!! But at times we cripple US companies with 'GREEN' laws, many of which miss there intended purpose, and unions not willing to move into the global economy we now work in. This thread will also self destruct very soon
as I have never seen a topic like this not do so in all my internet years. :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Good point Randy. I was just in the Northeast of Brazil and there isn't a whole lot of Atlantic RainForest left. Unlike the Amazon most of this was decimated when the country was first colonized. Its all sugar cane plantation as far as the eye can see, and most of the biodiversity in the Atlantic RainForest is already gone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The UAW and CAW have killed the North American auto industry. Thanks Buzz Hargrove!
No way can they afford to pay 80-90 an hour with benefits.
A CAW employee makes $34-$45 an hour + $40 in benefits?
No wonder the Big Three are moving elsewhere.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The UAW and CAw have killed the North American auto industry. Thanks Buzz Hargrove!
No way can they afford to pay 80-90 an hour with benefits.
A CAW employee makes $34-$45 an hour + $40 in benefits?
No wonder the Big Three are moving elsewhere.
I have to agree.

I believe in unionizing workers but I hate hearing how this power has been abused to the point that auto assembly workers get paid so much money.

This goes for longshoremen too...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was wondering if anyone was going to point out what Randy did about them building on a plot that "was" a rain forest, Ford didn't get rid of the forest. Also, If people don't want to go back to the good old days then the unions better not want pay like the good old days. Either way I don't care, I could give one S#!t about Detroit, I will never buy a car built in that town or any other US city for that matter. I live in the midwest and the last thing I wanna do is plop down $20,000 on a car built buy a guy who spent the weekend drunk and is building my car on a monday morning and with the UAW and the Car companies at war all the time you think the workers really have that much pride in what they are making? I don't.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What happens when we Americans can no longer afford the products our own companies sell? I am not pro union by any stretch. Most young Americans cannot afford a new car much less a home of any kind. I am buying the smart because it is what I cannot get any where else. US manufacturers have no interest in designing, manufacturing cars that the general public can buy.
The average new manufacturing wage in America is under $20 an hour now. The plant that Ford is going to build Fiestas in in Mexico will be paying $2.25 an hour to it's assembly workers who will never be able to buy one. Alan Mullally, the president of Ford made $30 million last year.
Who's the bad guy folks? At least smarts workers make a livable wage.

·
Registered
861 Posts
people always said that about China too but now they have an exploding economy and people are buying autos left and right, they even went as far as to ban motorcycles in one city because so many people are driving cars and their accidents are through the roof between cycles and cars. I guess those little kids working in sweat shops are buying cars!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts