Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action;jsessionid=8BvJSlyKH02zlcbsJkj2kwDGBF4VvxzPpLMLx1QLcV5gMyBSvSTp!1611748820

Excerpt from the 2013 smart manual:

If you should experience a problem with
your vehicle, particularly one that you
believe may affect its safe operation, we
urge you to immediately contact an
authorized smart center to have the
problem diagnosed and corrected if
required. Do not drive the vehicle if you
believe it may not be safely operated. If the
matter is not handled to your satisfaction,
please discuss the problem with the smart
center management, or if necessary contact
us at one of the following addresses:
In the USA:
Daimler Vehicle Innovations USA LLC
One Mercedes Drive

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also,
As advised by page 16-17 of the 2013 smart car manual, "If you believe that your vehicle has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death you should immediately inform the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying Daimler Vehicle Innovations USA."

·
Registered
536 Posts
http://www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action;jsessionid=8BvJSlyKH02zlcbsJkj2kwDGBF4VvxzPpLMLx1QLcV5gMyBSvSTp!1611748820

Excerpt from the 2013 smart manual:

If you should experience a problem with
your vehicle, particularly one that you
believe may affect its safe operation, we
urge you to immediately contact an
authorized smart center to have the
problem diagnosed and corrected if
required. Do not drive the vehicle if you
believe it may not be safely operated. If the
matter is not handled to your satisfaction,
please discuss the problem with the smart

center management, or if necessary contact
us at one of the following addresses:
In the USA:
Daimler Vehicle Innovations USA LLC
One Mercedes Drive

Cant open the link...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello em3706,
No anger I here, I love my car I just want to make sure everyone else who shares the joy of driving them is safe. I put in a report to the national highway and traffic safety administration so that it can be looked into for a recall. I would suggest all other smart owners to do the same. The link won't work because it was a link to my report which I realize now will not show up unless I screenshot it. My apologies. Just want to make sure anyone else that has this problem gets taken care of

·
17,351 Posts
What problem? Your car is warrantied, there's no need to open an investigation...But go ahead if you want to. I think there has to be enough reports though..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Date Complaint Filed: 12/06/2013
Component(s): SEAT BELTS , SEATS Date of Incident: 09/01/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10555019
All Products Associated with this Complaint
Details
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: SMART USA DISTRIBUTOR LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): WMEEJ3BA7DK...
SUMMARY:
THE 2013 SMART FORTWO PURE EDITION (BASE MODEL) SEAT BELT RESTRAINT SYSTEM MALFUNCTIONS. WHEN THE DRIVER LEANS FORWARD TO LOOK OUT EITHER SIDE WINDOW TO CHECK FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC THE SEAT BELT BECOMES LOOSE AND WILL NOT RETRACT INTO THE GUIDE UNLESS IT IS HAND FED. THIS ALSO REMAINS TRUE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE. IT APPEARS IT IS BEING CAUGHT UP IN THE GUIDE ATTACHED TO THE SIDE OF THE SEATS.
Request Research

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
WHEN THE DRIVER LEANS FORWARD TO LOOK OUT EITHER SIDE WINDOW TO CHECK FOR ONCOMING TRAFFIC THE SEAT BELT BECOMES LOOSE AND WILL NOT RETRACT INTO THE GUIDE UNLESS IT IS HAND FED. THIS ALSO REMAINS TRUE FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE
I've had this happen on both my 2008 and my 2013, but more on the passenger side than the driver side. It's often from the seat being too far back, or the seat itself being reclined back too far. In either case, if the distance between the wall mounted feeder and the guide is less than a couple inches, it can jam.

The 2013 feeder is slightly better because it can swivel more freely, where the 2008 feeder is a static piece of plastic. The solution is generally to adjust the seat so the feeder is farther from the wall mount.

This is especially prominent on cars where the user has forced the seat to recline more than the factory stop allowed. (Yes, you can just push past that stop with a little force...)

·
Registered
271 Posts
After we had our rear ending I have been keeping and eye and ear on everything in our 13 smart. Few new rattles and then the passenger seat belt would not retract on its own. I was going to take it to mercedes but checked it out and the problem was the seat position. If i move the seat foreward or backward one click OR recline the seat back one click or foreward one it works perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good plan to keep your ears and eyes out unfortunately mine does not improve with any of the suggestions. I also didn't "modify" my seat because I have a bad back so the factory position works best for me. If anyone has a moment contact smart so we can possible get this addresses more seriously.

·
17,351 Posts
Hmmm...Mine are weak, but they've never gotten stuck before... :eek:
FWIW - The tension system still works as designed. :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Mine (2008) has long needed help retracting. When I remove the belt I have to give it a tug or two to get it to retract fully. And, I've worried about whether or not this might indicate a problem to surface in the event of a collision, since it apparently isn't "right".

Two of y'all have mentioned this problem might be alleviated by moving the seat forward a click. Since I always drive with the seat all of the way back, this hits home. But, I like it all the way back. Guess I'll try moving it forward a click or two to see if it does have an effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok all,

to update on the seat belt issue,

The 2013 and whichever other models apply have a unique guide in which the seat belt is feed back into the retracting unit/pillar. I would post pictures but am unsure how(any tips). The guide is shaped as a circle with a slot through it. this is where you would feed your seat belt or un feed your seat belt in the event to put your front passenger seat down flat. Why it is also on the drivers side, I am unsure, I suppose to keep things looking symmetrical. Anyhow, if it is feed in to the guide wrong it will become pinched and not feed back properly causing the problem originally stated in the beginning of this thread. The way to relieve this problem is to un thread or remove the seat belt from the guide and flip the seat belt webbing once and thread back into the guide. The gap in the guide should face inwards towards the center of the vehicle (think shifter or where your key goes). This should solve the problem. However of course due to the fact some may mis-interpret the above solution or in the special circumstance another problem with your seat belt should exist, this should be inspected or cleared by a mercedes or smart service center near you.

Closest to me was Fairfield Smart Center and although it took an extra look by the shop foreman a solution was found and the problem safely fixed. I hope everyone takes note to this and continues to motor safely!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts