Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At $37,500 before Federal and State incentives, this may be the EV bargain of the year.

The Bolt's range had previously been targeted at 200 miles, but has now been officially EPA rated at 238 miles.

That's double the range of the BMW i3, which just got a 50% increase in range for 2017.

Chevy claims 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Also, the Bolt has optional DC fast charging that can add 90 miles of range in 30 minutes.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/13/the-chevy-bolt-will-have-a-238-mile-range/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm at this rate my smart might go to Bolt if I know if I stay with my parents which well I know that won't happen... But yes the Bolt it self killed all other EVs other that Tesla in Range and it a value to the Tesla so Chevy for now is the EV leader to the mass. Let's see the sales later on down the road for the rest of the EV cars if the Bolt made a dent

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Great news for not for everyone. I, for one, will never pay over $20K for for a lump of metal, glass and plastic that depreciates faster than a burning cigarette. I love cars and appreciate new technology but would rather spend big dollars on things that increase in value.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I, for one, will never pay over $20K for for a lump... that depreciates faster than a burning cigarette.

Most people lease electric vehicles, and the lease rates should be outstanding on the Bolt. Looks like Chevy might have TWO class-leading vehicles, the Volt and Bolt. When they redo the Spark, maybe it'll be another winner: the Jolt.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
Most people lease electric vehicles, and the lease rates should be outstanding on the Bolt.
Agreed unless that (short) supply and (high) demand thing impacts the lease rate on the Bolt?

Currently, FAT residuals on goofy lease rates may be causing some to rethink EV leases?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed unless that (short) supply and (high) demand thing impacts the lease rate on the Bolt?

My prediction is for low lease rates.

Chevy wants to capitalize on its EV vehicles, and show the world how many such vehicles it can sell.

High sales/lease volume is the critical key to Chevy putting egg on the faces of BMW, Tesla, Nissan, and Ford, and thus entrench itself as the market leader.

The Bolt needs to become a real marketing coup, and Chevy will gladly make the vehicle financially accessible in order to secure that title.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,109 Posts
I'm glad to see GM putting some real effort in the Bolt. I hope it pays off for them. Competition is a good thing and the greater the number of long range affordable EVs there are, the more it legitimizes the market and attracts more entrants.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or fast-charge from empty in only 30 minutes, which is how long it took me to get through the gas pump queue at Costco and fill my sub-238-mile-range current gas vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
True but for many homeowners with older (limited) electrical panels, fast-charge would represent a HUGE investment.

Yes, yet another pay to play choice.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True but for many homeowners with older (limited) electrical panels, fast-charge would represent a HUGE investment.

Most people would use reasonably-priced 220/240V L2 charging at home, where a 9-hour nighttime (maximum) refill would be convenient for most people/uses.

DC fast charging is not really intended for residential installations; it is primarily for public charging at stations around town or at offices. Such fast charging provides quick road trip refueling and daily emergency top-offs.

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
DC fast charging is not really intended for residential installations; it is primarily for public charging at stations around town or at offices.
Sorry, my charging time comments were intended to show HOME charging options.

As an EV owner w/L2 access, pretty much aware of what can be done at home.

Unfortunately DC fast charging in the wild is not an option for the ED 451 but would be handy for a Bolt...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Boy the Paris Auto Show is going to be very interesting. So many EV's coming down the pipes and likely going to be displayed there. Wish I could attend. Can't wait.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Lease rates are aided by the fact that the lessor gets the tax credit from the government, and the leasing companies have tended to pass this directly to the leasee. This is why leases have been so low on EVs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts