Smart Car of America Forum banner

Chilled out radio!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ElementalDragon 
#1 ·
So on a COLD Florida morning I hop in my 453 Cabrio, and just as the news of the world starts to come in . . . it doesn't. That's cuz the totally stock radio doesn't power up. Nothing I can do makes it power up. When the cabin heat gets up to 55F or so, if I pull over, turn the key off, then turn it back on, the radio functions nomally -- bluetooth and all. And otherwise functions normally. But when it's cold out, no radio. The screen is absolutely blank, irrespective of whether it's on or off.

If I switch the ignition or and off while the car is still cold, the radio plays 'possum

When it recovers it is perfectly functional.

WTF? Anyone else had this issue, and if yes, how did you fix it? (I can't move to a warmer climate w/o swimming!

#2 ·
Is this with the standard radio or the touchscreen radio (don't remember if that ever really became widely available here in the US)? Honestly, I'd probably have it looked at. I mean.... I'm pretty sure a "cold" Florida winter day is probably warmer than most "warm" Pennsylvania winter days.... or even in Germany and such. I've known of devices having issues when being powered up if they've been in very cold air for a significant amount of time.... but again... with a "cold" Floriday day being in the 30's-40's, I'd be surprised if JUST the cold would be the cause of it. Even my cheap Chinese android-powered head unit i bought off AliExpress functions just fine when the temps dip down into the single digits, or close to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.