Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,063 Posts
I bought the C5 version a couple of months ago. It seems to work well but haven't as of yet had the time to dig into it. The biggest drawback with mine is they come with no documentation or instructions. To add to the problem, German engineers use different terms for things and approach things a little differently than I am used to. Mercedes Benz techs get a lot of training on using it so it. I am a retired computer technician and I still find it a little intimidating. There are bits and pieces of info on the internet to find. I have only find a few. Things like DAS and WIS are terms to be learned. It's menu driven but sometimes the menu layouts or the terms therein don't make sense until you learn them. I was surprised there wasn't more info here on the forum from other members that have it. I will post some links below of the stuff I have found. Some is more relevant than others. I bought the C5 with the Dell 630 laptop but there are similarities between the C3, C4 and C5 Star machines. DCO

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an older C3 version, which has been a Godsend for the various other Mercedes products I've owned. It'll communicate with my smart, but they're relatively simple cars without a lot of modules to talk to.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an older C3 version, which has been a Godsend for the various other Mercedes products I've owned. It'll communicate with my smart, but they're relatively simple cars without a lot of modules to talk to.
Can you give information as to the one you bought?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very similar to this machine. May even be the same seller, I don't remember anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure you run a virus scan on it. The software they give you is loaded with viruses.
Good idea but sometimes so-called 'cracks' (not condoning) are in the virus 'find-library' perhaps configured by a some type of liaison between the software manufacturer and the virus software company.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,063 Posts
DreamCarOwner, Thank you. Have you been able to use it much?
I've played around a little with it. Just did the basic stuff like you would with a OBDII scanner. I want to get into the deeper settings like enabling my shift paddles and removing the speed limiter. The Chinese knock off's are getting cheaper and cheaper. Pretty soon we will all have one but not have an idea how to use it. Lol If I figure out anymore of the deeper stuff I will post it here. DCO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good idea but sometimes so-called 'cracks' (not condoning) are in the virus 'find-library' perhaps configured by a some type of liaison between the software manufacturer and the virus software company.
Antivirus ids the files and you can search for them on online and make your decisions on that.

I haven't done deep research, but all the ones I've seen are clones; hence, the laptop included or HDD as you need the same hardware configuration as the original. Some user do not buy the laptop to reduce cost so they configure a personal laptop with a virtual computer to mimic the original laptop.

Just keep it off the wifi or networks and use a dedicated pc just for that. No web surfing, transfering files to be safe.

Lamborghini and Ferrari are the same but they diagnostic tool have been back engineered and being sold for $15k (exotic car tax included).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice! I decided to go for the whole C3 kit including the laptop. I’ll pull the HDD and scan it for viruses, but other than that, I’ll keep it off my network.

My first mission will be to install a new yaw sensor and program a new key. I’m sure there will be a learning curve, but it should be fun and I will be super cautious and only work on days when my marbles seem to all be in my head (those days are rare any more).

I might be hitting the group up for some advice getting things working.

Thanks to all and keep the advice coming, please!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll have a look. If you can recommend any, please let me know. I appreciate it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts