Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A comment made in a different part of the world described a 450 or 451 that suddenly went into over-rev, and the temperature spiked. Everything returned to normal after everything was shut down and re-initialized. I am reminded that in bouncing among a few different threads I see intentions to chip, and/or whip on bolt-ons, along with angst over mileage and warranties.

Re: The engine stuff. My guess is that you would have to do both, possibly with some peril. If engine power is the goal, that will probably do it; if increased mileage is the goal by definition that would be difficult to do. The bolt-ons (on this site the talk has been air induction and exhaust) can increase airflow into and out of the engine. But all that extra air has to be matched with the proper amount of fuel to maintain the approximately 14:1 air/fuel ratio by mass. More air = more fuel. Now, the ECU can, among other things, work to regulate the air/fuel mixture – if the sensors and the ECU and metering devices have sufficient range. If too much air is introduced and not enough fuel can be provided by the stock setup, the engine will run fast, lean, and very hot (maybe that’s what happened above). An altered ECU chip may then be required, and hopefully the O2 sensor and injectors can work with it.

One needs to keep in mind that this engine is all aluminum, and, with those three dear and delicate slipper pistons. Aluminum engines don’t take kindly to overheating, and warped heads and pistons can result. The slippers have little tolerance (or metal available) for distortion.

Re: Warranties. For those who are bent upon modding, the upside of the 24/24k is they only have to wait two years without prematurely voiding their warranties.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Caution mild rant coming below.... if you are sensitive to being called a cheater, liar, or thief do not continue reading

We in the USA enjoy the protection and logic of the Magnuson/Moss Warranty Act

That basically says the manufacture can not void the warranty if the owner had recommended services done by self or some other qualified shop.

A manufacture can NOT insist that only "they" do all the services. They may NOT void a warranty either if you do not use their factory parts or lubes (as long as the alternative you use is equivalent or better)

Additionally the Act protects US consumers by stating that a manufacture can NOT void the warranty if some service, lack of service, or modification is not relevant to the malfunctioning equipment...

Example: A lift/lowering kit and wide tires might have a negative effect on the suspension, steering, or braking systems but should not cause any electrical, injection/ignition, power window, etc, etc problems

Basically what this means if you install or modify some thing like a "cold air" intake kit and later have a customer concern to be fixed under warranty that is NOT related to the motor's intake system then the manufacture may not void the warranty.

BUT a ECU reprogram to exploit the higher HP potential of; Kold air kit, bored and polished throttle body, injector regulator tweek to higher PSI, Cat free open fart pipe, higher voltage coil, fatter gap platinum plugs. These mods should boost the factory power significantly and is very likely to have negative impacts on drive train and motor internals....

Back to the point fishrdnc is making... maybe for some the shorter warranty is a good thing....

The rant....

I hang out in a Ford Truck forum.... here in America there is a tendency to believe everybody is entitled to a free ride.... I hear guys all day long that modded the hell out of their trucks but failed to do it right...Ultimatly they frag a very expensive trany and transfer case ......

They come to the forums crying....... if they are not asking directly how to fraud Ford out of warranty repair then there is always some other citizen willing to volunteer how to fake out the Dealership and get a new tranny under warranty....

The rude name calling:

IMO this is fraud, if you do remove all your mods, put back on the factory exhaust, remove the chip, and present your broken auto for warranty repair than you are a liar and a thief...

And you are NOT screwing the BIG bad mean old "Company"---
the costs get distributed back to us consumers...

I am amazed at how many folks just do not have a sense of personal responsibility

I probably will modify my Smart.... twill be looking to unlock some hidden HP that is always there... perhaps I will get better MPG in the search..if not OH WELL---Fishrdnc is correct --- to make MORE power almost always costs increased fuel needs...

If I mod it and break it...that is on me.... if the windows and gages quit working it is on them....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good rant, and I completely agree with you...you break it you own it

And unless there is a way to pull a few extra miles per gallon I have no interest in modifying my Smart, I'm fine with 0-60 in 12-14

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is that if they (AGM) deigned to take it on it would be black, adult, svelte, understated, balanced, and very well done; more than just some engine onions and garish knobs and buttons. And performance, well, as Rolls Royce once stated while they refused to publish power numbers, it would be "to the owner's expectations."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory Warranty/Extended Warranty and LSD Custom Door Kits

Judging by the comments in this thread, would I be correct to assume that a factory warranty and/or an extended warranty would not be partially voided by the installation of LSD Custom "Lambo Doors?" This kit is basically a set of hinges but does not involve the replacement of any other parts on the doors. Also, has anyone heard of any problems associated with these kits? Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
We in the USA enjoy the protection and logic of the Magnuson/Moss Warranty Act
Without going into a whole thing, let me just say good luck with getting anywhere with the MMA. Bottom line is the dealer can refuse to work on your car period, and I have yet to hear of people commonly getting anywhere by way of the act if a dealer does want to blame any modifications to the car for related issues, or even semi-related problems (since it is not only the parts in question but the installation and how that work can have effected other things), with it.

Seriously, modding beyond cosmetics and perhaps really simple bolt ons (like a muffler - maybe) that can effect anything functional really is at your own risk. I doubt I will ever want to go down the path of arguing that stuff with dealer service again or give them any reasons to deny things under warranty - it really can just be too miserable.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Judging by the comments in this thread, would I be correct to assume that a factory warranty and/or an extended warranty would not be partially voided by the installation of LSD Custom "Lambo Doors?" This kit is basically a set of hinges but does not involve the replacement of any other parts on the doors. Also, has anyone heard of any problems associated with these kits? Thanks.
Proceed at your peril:

http://smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3842&highlight=Lambo+doors

http://smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3491&highlight=Lambo+doors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts