Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't bother won't fit!

I bought their adaptor to go from the smart connector to my new Pioneer head unit. As soon as I pulled the model 10 I could tell it would not work. The smart radio 10 has two small connectors and the adaptor nothing that small. Holding the adaptor to the back of the DEH-A980BT nothing even close there either. What a waste of time. I ended up figuring out the wires and splicing. Would of been a lot easier had I had a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Cool, I've been waiting for this so I can toss the stock speakers and get some Sony's or Pioneers. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Whats wrong with Circuit City?

What is a better idea. to let the store install the speakers or take it to the smart dealer?

·
Registered
274 Posts
What is a better idea. to let the store install the speakers or take it to the smart dealer?
Just buy a screwdriver for 1.50 and do it yourself. If you can plug a toaster into a A/C receptacle on the wall, then you can install speakers in this car ;)

BTW-does anyone sell a service manual for this car yet (including full wiring diagram)? :confused:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
best buy is circuit city colored blue and yellow. there is zero discernible difference.
i think crutchfield online has a better track record for customer service and their DIY guides are usually pretty thorough and well-done.
for brick&mortar, either independent shops with good reps or out here we have a chain of higher-end audio/video stores named Tweeter, Etc. they tend to be a bit better than the highschoolers at BB and CC, but you still have to be careful.

·
Super Moderator
28,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my .02, but you can buy a box of Cheerios at Sam's Club or at one of the local high end grocery stores. Same Cheerios, just depends on what you're willing to pay for them. As long as you know exactly what you want I see no reason to pay more than at BB or CC. Installation - that's another story. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I can ALWAYS beat CC or BB on line at Crutchfield's or Buy dot com or even e-bay store fronts

Wiring diagrams are free here at SCOA (hard to find) and on Evilutions site

"How too" posts are free here and on Evilutions site

If you know zactly what you are looking for (cuz you researched it on line like the "compare" features on crutchfield's) a Google shopping search for the brand and model will land you at Price grabber. or similar. to see who has it cheapest

Only caution on line is to buy from an authorized re-seller... most manufacturer site can answer that question too

The worst deals I see at at our local Brick n mortar stereo install shops... it kills me to see soldiers zoom out of there paying 30% to 50% higher for fancy looking Pioneer and Kenwood stuff...and Lord knows you do not want to ask what they want for the Eclipse junk

I recommend starting at Crutchfield and expand outward from there to the web site of JVC/Apline/Dual/Kenwood...etc etc...there is usually a link to the MFG site

·
Registered
801 Posts
After Circuit City deep sixed all it's sales staff for cheaper no experience help last year? I wouldn't spend any money there period. IMHO.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
From my personal experience, The customer service at Best buy is sub par. Thier technical experts are not very highly trained and they admitted to me that they don't do alot of work on any German cars due to thier difficulty factor. (In all fairness I was trying to get a remote start) I would go to a custom audio store locally for any thing more than changing out the peakers which you could do yourself.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Polk Audio speakers were installed at Circuit City. Tony used the Evilution web site as I suggested and had no problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just my .02, but you can buy a box of Cheerios at Sam's Club or at one of the local high end grocery stores. Same Cheerios, just depends on what you're willing to pay for them. As long as you know exactly what you want I see no reason to pay more than at BB or CC. Installation - that's another story. :)
Sams/Walmart has a reputation for having special models made to their specifications in order to lower prices. One of my favorite articles a few years ago was called "The Man who said No to Walmart" He was the CEO of Simplicity and Walmart wanted them to produce cheaper products but the fellow said no, he would not lower the quality and sacrifice the Simplicity brand name. Of course, several months later the stockholders probably replaced him. If you think that just buying a brand name is a guarantee you are getting quality, better check out the the actual model numbers of the item Sams/Walmart is selling to the ones listed on the company website or a place like Crutchfield - if the model numbers are a little different it could be because they are built cheaper. On the other hand, you are right, the Cheerios may be the same thing, just different packaging.

·
Super Moderator
28,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guess I wasn't clear; once we've decided that General Mills Cheerios are what we want, then the only question is how much to pay for them. I wasn't advocating buying store brands, although they are often made in the same plant as name brands. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts