Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the trees in my area are getting it ON! Love is in the air! Literally!

Unfortunately, my poor little blue cabrio is getting covered in green pollen and looking rather sad. I've tried just hosing it off, and it does look a bit better, but I'd like to really get the fabric back to black black blackness.

Anybody have any tips? I do own one of those newfangled Mr. Clean whosywhatsits, but the hubby has so far been the only one to use it, so I have no idea if it's ok to use on the fabric...

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
So the trees in my area are getting it ON! Love is in the air! Literally!

Unfortunately, my poor little blue cabrio is getting covered in green pollen and looking rather sad. I've tried just hosing it off, and it does look a bit better, but I'd like to really get the fabric back to black black blackness.

Anybody have any tips? I do own one of those newfangled Mr. Clean whosywhatsits, but the hubby has so far been the only one to use it, so I have no idea if it's ok to use on the fabric...
I am wondering the same thing too?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try an electric blower to get the pollen off followed by a convertible top cleaner. Our (non-smart) convertible has a fabric top and I use the BMW convertible top cleaner on it. It won't strip the waterproofing off either. It is a pricey cleaner though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG, I hadn't even thought about the fabric having been waterproofed. *facepalm* Even though I *watched* the water bead up and fly off it as I hosed it off the other day.

But ok, good. Some kind of non-waterproof-stripping convertible top cleaner. Would I have to pick that up at the dealership, or would like, AutoZone have that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, Wolfsteins is the way to go with a canvas top.

I also belong to the Pagoda W113 Group and many of us use this very same product.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the Raggtopp, but about the aerosol can stuff... I have no garage, wouldn't it just spray away into my yard? I saw on Amazon that someone recommended the 303 stuff instead, as it was in a pump spray and was less likely to float off on the breeze?

Is the Raggtopp aerosol spray stuff hard to control, outdoors? Is 303 ok?

Ugh, I suppose I could/should just bite the bullet and ask my inlaws if I could borrow their garage for an afternoon... :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the Raggtopp, but about the aerosol can stuff... I have no garage, wouldn't it just spray away into my yard? I saw on Amazon that someone recommended the 303 stuff instead, as it was in a pump spray and was less likely to float off on the breeze?

Is the Raggtopp aerosol spray stuff hard to control, outdoors? Is 303 ok?

Ugh, I suppose I could/should just bite the bullet and ask my inlaws if I could borrow their garage for an afternoon... :p
Hi Sylvan,
(lol) - You just sold me on that 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, 32 oz. on Amazon.com.
I checked it out and I was impressed! The RAGGTOPP spray can was a headache (even though it seemed to work). I just ordered the 32 oz. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard bottle from Amazon.
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Best Regards,

-Tom L.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, that's too funny! I hope it works out! :D And now I'm going to have to get some myself!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
anyone try a vacuum?

Howdy all you cabrio smarties out there in pollen land.
Here's a thought for getting the pollen off your ragtop.
Try using a vacuum with a brush attachment?
Brush in the same direction (front to back).
I use a shop-vac, works very well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
the manual says to use a brush and to brush one way, say front to rear.

i've not yet found a suitable brush.
Have you looked in the auto car/car wash section at the auto parts store or Target? There should be a car wash brush that could work. As for aerosol vs spray... I'd go with the spray.

Also, you'll want to re-waterproof the top once a year to keep it in good shape. Don't know of the generic equivalent but you should be able to get it from a dealer (but it will be pricey).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts