Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
Thanks for the link! Nice write up overall, although too many unexplained acronyms for my taste. Encouraging news on the mileage figures cited. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
"The SMART offered up a respectable 45.5 mpg average over ~ 120 miles......"
Best review I ever read about the 451. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
85 Posts
:D Great MPG reviews! I was VERY disappointed with a thread I read and posted to just before this one. (smart #1 best '08 mpg all-gas usa vehicle?)

Thanks Smartbob!

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Finally some *REAL MPG #'s!

Great article and I just knew mileage numbers would be different in real life.

Here's some key numbers and conditions highlighted in bold if you didn't catch them. The entire trips average fuel economy was obviously pulled down by Kelly's poor driving habits...

On day 1 in a completely non-setup SMART over a route including ~ 20% city and 80% highway, she retuned 52.7 mpg over 37 miles per the SG-II. My non-hypermile trained journalist partner, Kelly Thomas from the Pioneer Press pulled a 35.9 mpg run over 9.6 miles of 35% highway and 65% city.
On day 2, the Smart allowed a 54.6 mpg run with a 4 mile – 40 minute stop and crawl out of San Jose and an all-highway and unmolested run back into downtown San Francisco. I was learning Kelly took over for 22.5 miles pulling a 35.6 mpg segment in and amongst the outskirts and into the inner portions of San Francisco. I took the opportunity to drive a nightmarish segment taking the SMART through everything downtown San Francisco had to offer including our final destination, Fisherman’s Wharf. That short segment yielded 43.8 mpg in strictly stop light to stop light, hill climb to descent to climb and repeat “Streets of San Francisco” nightmare while I threw the book at it. The SMART offered up a respectable 45.5 mpg average over ~ 120 miles with 1/3 of the driving performed by Kelly and 2/3 by me. This included ~ 1/3 harsh inner city and 2/3 somewhat open Interstate. Between 48 and 58 mph, she would allow 50 – 70 MPG and this is indeed a nice little spot to hold thus making me believe 60 MPG should be achievable by a trained hypermiler with an unmolested suburb/highway commute.

These are VERY encouraging mileage #'s to me and what I would consider *real life scenario* as I mentioned above. So glad to have read this article and thanks for posting it! :D :D :D

Side note: Having just recently visited San Francisco, I can appreciate what the test course held while driving around That steep, hilly city!!!! GREAT mileage for that test course..

·
Registered
1 Posts
105 mpg

I have test-driven a 2006 privately modified Canadian turbo-diesel Smart that is getting an advertised 105 mpg (Imperial gallon don't forget). It is student-owned and this student allowed me to take it for a test drive. His claims are that his vehicle got 105 mpg on one particular drive and he proudly displays a bumper sticker advertising same. From his description of the vehicle and his driving habits he is clearly a hypermiler. I will try to provide more information on his modifications. I know that one of the mods is a K&N air filter and that he mentioned reprogramming a computer chip but I'm not sure to what extent. While the 2008 model looks great my plans are to buy a slightly used 2006 or 2007 model year Canadian version and continue to use diesel fuel. It is quite clear that the fuel savings are with the diesel versions. What a shame.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know that one of the mods is a K&N air filter
For years Bimmerheads were extolling the virtues of K&N but a man who is one of the best BMW tuners did a great number of reproducible studies that indicated that the K&N let significantly more dirt into the engine than most stock filter systems. The result is that today, in the BMW community they have fallen out of favor and other systems that give you the protection of the stock with the airflow of K&N are being used.

I have been out of this for a few years so I can't direct anyone to all the documentation but a place to start a search is with the name Jim Conforti

·
Registered
499 Posts
For years Bimmerheads were extolling the virtues of K&N but a man who is one of the best BMW tuners did a great number of reproducible studies that indicated that the K&N let significantly more dirt into the engine than most stock filter systems. The result is that today, in the BMW community they have fallen out of favor and other systems that give you the protection of the stock with the airflow of K&N are being used.

I have been out of this for a few years so I can't direct anyone to all the documentation but a place to start a search is with the name Jim Conforti
I ride atvs alot I HAD A k&N fiter and a filter skin on and wrecked a cylinder.
you could feel the grit on the inside of the intake. Have run several different after market filters since never had it happen again.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
A pair of K&Ns are standard OEM on the Caterhams, and work fine. But they do have to be periodically washed and re-oiled with the pink stuff. The only problem I ever had was shrinkage of the inner seating ring from gasoline when my original setup man insisted on setting the Webers too rich - reversion and gasoline drips from the air trumpets.

[/IMG]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts