Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 red smart that has areas where the clear coat is peeling. I did a quick search to find that this has happened to others w/2009 red only. Anyone have this or any advice? I am going to dealer tomorrow to discuss.

·
17,349 Posts
I'd say take it up with smartUSA, they might help resolve the issue. Clearly (ha ha) something might be wrong with the 2009 Rally Red. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, I think i will make some noise. Its troubling, especially since I was going to sell it to buy ANOTHER smart. thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
So far it appears to be on the early cars, mostly red. Don't think there's an issue with the later cars, or at least not reported on SCoA. Some people have had success using the smart USA Facebook page to get assistance. Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update on the 2009 red clear coat problem----met with MB service yesterday. They took pic and sent to Smart. Today, they called, said Smart will provide new panels for all that are affected but I would need to pay labor for installation, ~ $500. Not a bad outcome. I did stop in at Maaco for an estimate and it was ~ $650 to repaint and clear coat all panels. The end of story, however, is that I walked over to Smart dealer after service appt and spent 2 hrs. They offered a good price for trade in (with my doing nothing to the car). So, tomorrow, we are going to pick up a new 2014 convertible on a lease. This is my first lease and took some getting used to the idea. However, it does make sense. 3 yr lease, 4 yr warranty. Way less than a car payment for same car (for me). I am HAPPY! Will send pic of new one. It is lovely. I must say that Smart did deliver on the paint issue so there must have been a problem that was not publicized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts