My 2008 Pure Smart Car has sever delamination. I know I can buy panels...but wondering if it could be fixed by painting. I went online to utube (diyautoschool)and saw this, and it seemed like it might work. Here are the steps:
1. Use Scotch Brite to rough up the surface.
2. Clean dust with alcohol and automotive wipe offs (lint free)
3. Put on Adhesion Promoter.
4. Put Epoxy Primer on
5. Spray paint (hopefully with factory color)
So has anyone ever done this? If this won't work, I've thought about just putting wrap on. The worst panel is the front engine panel, but there is also a place on the side near the front panel. I am enclosing pics. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jet. Just finished it last weekend. 3 1/2 months of work getting the body squared away and painted on that one. It was a fun project. Makes a sweet daily driver. I get almost as many looks in that now, as I did in the smart......
Jetfuel....nice car Mr ex-president....
Well, I can't necessarily confirm on the red cars, but as the video link below clearly shows in the first few seconds, the yellow panels are very obviously clear coated at the factory. That is most definitely a spray on process, not a film. I highly doubt they would do anything different on the other colors.That doesn't look like the typical behavior of the peeling red smarts, but it could be.
The "Clearcoat", at least on the red cars and I fully suspect the yellow is the same, is not a paint product, it is a plastic wrap material that was factory-applied in sheets, as a film. See post 196 in this thread.
The clear film begins to loosen around any imperfection, like a stone chip and it migrates from there. When I stripped mine, most of it came off in sheets. What didn't come off was stuck fast. The areas where it adhered well were areas that didn't receive direct UV, like inside the tailgate area and the lowest parts of the fenders and doors. The film that came off didn't appear to have any remaining adhesive, nor did the surfaces that it came from. It was as if it disintegrated.
I'm not confident that a touch-up as you suggested will work, because you'll be applying paint to the equivalent of a plastic bread bag.