Smart Car of America Forum banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
peeling paint

i have a white 08 with 29k and no problems and an 06 civic that looks like s^*$ . could part of the problem be with the types of wax you use...rejex etc anything other than carnnuba base waxes?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If the clear coat is pealing off, I seriously doubt the brand of wax is responsible. More than likely there was an issue with the prep work before the clear coat was applied,or when the coat was cured.

·
Registered
859 Posts
paint

to be honest and show my stupidity i really thought these were color molded panels and had no idea there even was a clearcoat on them and was looking forward to a modestly easy to take care of car. guess i can't get much easier than white tho.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
White (and Black) are the toughest colors to try to match on a car. I have a complete front end sitting in a box waiting to be mounted on my 2008. Sad part is I will have to change them from white to Early red, which is more like an orange metallic paint. Been thinking about doing a carbon fiber wrap on them but I am not sure if the wrap would hold up as good as just having them painted. It should be easier to aint or wrap before they are on the car. Just have to decide. maybe a red tinted carbon fiber....

·
Registered
386 Posts
It could be a number of factors, type of paint used, how it was applied and perhaps washing.

We own/owned 3 Saturns two were 1999 and my 2000, these are partially plastic bodied. Hood, roof and trunk lid are all metal but all the side panels including upper door trim are plastic. All have experienced clear coat peeling but only on specific areas. All peeled on the upper door trim plastic which is a plastic trim piece that sits on top of the window frame on all 4 doors. One also peeled on the rear factory spoiler and the other on the top of one fender. But what is interesting is none have peeled on the areas that are metal which makes me suspect it has something possibly to do with the expansion/contraction factor of the materials and this loosens or starts a crack in the clear coat.

My other suspicion is that it could be due to running through automated car washes, especially the type where you manually drive the vehicle through the final stage which is the hot air dryer. Now the reason I suspect this is because being a cheapskate/lazy sod I tended to pull through that part very very slowly so as to get the maximum amount of water off the cars. But my suspicion is that by doing so I was exposing the parts to more wind buffeting and heat which could be what caused the clear coat to start to loose adhesion to the painted surface below. The other possibility is that because the parts are on the edges of the car that the fibre brushes/wicks used in the wash and slap at the body panels could have also caused the delamination to occur.

I don't feel it was the wax I used since the metal parts are all fine, we started off using a liquid who's name escapes me (gold labeled tin with red vintage veto, just remembered it was Liquid Glass) but have been using Maguire's Gold Class for the past 15+ years on all our cars without incident.

The other thing is that delimitation is common on some vehicles, GM had a lawsuit about just such an issue with some of their compact trucks a long time ago and wound up repainting them. Granted my gut feeling is that it is highly unlikely that MB will do anything but guess that might depend on the dealer and if you are considered a 'good' customer. IE owner of other MB product....

I don't plan on taking my new/used smart through car washes and have since stopped using them on our winter driven cars.

As someone else mentioned the clear coat comes off in sheets and a power washer will easily blow these off the surface but what you are left with is something really ugly so unless you are doing prep work I would not do this.

·
Registered
859 Posts
paint

to be honest and show my stupidity i thought these cars had color molded panels ....not painted and clearcoated. and here i thought just maybe i had a fairly carefree maintenance car (paint wise)

my red 06 civic looks like a kid with a bad sunburn and peeling like a sun of a gun. and i kept it waxed too.

any chance it could be stuff like rejex etc and not the good ol carnuba wax causing the peeling? geeeez i don't want to go thru that again....hopefully my 08 white won't do that

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
to be honest and show my stupidity i thought these cars had color molded panels ....not painted and clearcoated. and here i thought just maybe i had a fairly carefree maintenance car (paint wise)

my red 06 civic looks like a kid with a bad sunburn and peeling like a sun of a gun. and i kept it waxed too.

any chance it could be stuff like rejex etc and not the good ol carnuba wax causing the peeling? geeeez i don't want to go thru that again....hopefully my 08 white won't do that
The solid colors are molded in color with a clear coat applied. The metallic colors are painted with a clear coat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wrap the roof

My 2009 smart pure has the molded in solid white panels and no problems there. However, the plastic carbon fiber looking material on the roof bubbled upend mostly peeled off in the last big rain we had. I took as much off as I could and brought it down to a local wrap shop and had it wrapped in a maroon color material. Looks great and took care of the problem for about $250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bob

My 2011 Pasion is beginning to peel, talked with my Collision shop and they say that they can sand it down and Clear coat it again, I'm not sure about sanding on the top.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My 2009 smart pure has the molded in solid white panels and no problems there. However, the plastic carbon fiber looking material on the roof bubbled upend mostly peeled off in the last big rain we had. I took as much off as I could and brought it down to a local wrap shop and had it wrapped in a maroon color material. Looks great and took care of the problem for about $250.
Any pictures?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clearcoat peeling problems

I have a used 09 that I bought was 71,000 miles on it, we had a lot of peeling on the rear tailgate, we traced it back to small cuts in the clearcoat near the smart logo, no one told me not to run my smart through an automated car wash, because the back of the car is perfectly flat but the spryers come at an angle they ripped the clearcoat off the top half of the tailgate, cost to strip and recoat the tailgate was too high, we simply bought a new panel, and I had a custom shop put clear bra on the top quarter of the tailgate, to keep new scratches from causing the same problem, and I only hand wash my smart now, haven't had any problems cents, car has 114,000 miles on it now.

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
And the saga continues...

ARLINGTON, Va. (ABC7) — It starts as a little bubble here. A tiny blister there. And then, it comes off like a scab.

“And that’s my baby with the crappy paint job,” complained Ruth Dumont as she peeled of another piece.

The problem is peeling plastic on some 2008-2009 smart cars, a product now distributed in the U.S. by Mercedes.
:)

7 ON YOUR SIDE tackles peeling plastic problem in SMART cars | WJLA

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,705 Posts
"But Dumont's repair estimate was $2800; King's was $6000."

While the MY08/09 peeling clearcoat is unacceptable (and a known smart failure), so are those repair estimates!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Never put any car thru an auto car wash - always, but always, do the wash by hand
Well I wish someone would advise Fletcher Jones Mercedes imports of that important information. When I have bought either of my smarts there for service, they finished with a automatic car wash. As a matter of fact, a month and a half ago I took it in with the top down. They put the top up so it could be washed and it wasn't dirty.
Knowing, that they did not need access to the engine bay, I had purposely left the top down. I didn't think they would go through the trouble to put the side rails on in order to put the top up to wash a clean car.
JL

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Well, to their credit, at least they put the top up before running it through the car wash. Could have been worse. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 1,600 miles

221 - 240 of 269 Posts