Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 passion in rally red. The clear coat is pealing BADLY! I've wrapped the car (his name is Earnie) in vinyl (horrible job). I'm wanting to remove the vinyl and compound the last of the clearcoat off. Any suggestions on what compound to use?

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It needs to be sanded off smooth. Re clear coated, or wrapped. Personally, I’d purchase new body panels. That was the whole purpose, of replacement panels.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,073 Posts
i have the same problem with my 2009.

I was considering sandblasting it with either baking soda or walnut shells at low pressure,
then spray painting it with Dupli Color Paint Shop primer, then midnight blue, with metallic clear coat...

Compressor, sandblast gun, and blast media can be found on Harbor Freight...
Paint can be found on Rock Auto...

Money is a major roadblock, however...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sandblasting plastic is risky for the inexperienced. Professional clear coat paint is similar to epoxy based paint that’s mixed (resin and hardener) and is remarkably durable. Once the sandblasting chews through the clear coat and paint, the base plastic is extremely soft in comparison and the beads, walnut shells, or soda will abrade the plastic very very fast. It’s difficult to get a uniform finish. That being said, once all the paint is off, sandblasting leaves a really good surface for painting and, if applied properly, the paint and clear coat can cover a multitude of “oops” and overzealous moments with the sandblasted.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Also need to keep in mind that rally red is molded in color, so it could be hard to tell once you've blasted off all of the dead clearcoat and pigment and have reached the plastic.

What I'd probably do is wet sand them down then hit them with a paint gun with a color of your choice.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
74 Posts
For those who's panels have not started pealing, a good coat of wax one or twice a year will keep it from happening. Don't forget the roof if it is a hardtop, the plexiglass is clear coated as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any way you look at it.
It is going to be a great amount of work or a hreat amount of money (panel swap or pro paint.)
I'm thinking upwards of $1100.00
I hope "Earnie" is worthy.
I'm beginning to think he maybe beyond my ability to put to rights. I'm just wanting him to not look so bad. He's a fun little guy to drive but my diy skills and wallet will only stretch so far.

·
Registered
2008 451
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It needs to be sanded off smooth. Re clear coated, or wrapped. Personally, I’d purchase new body panels. That was the whole purpose, of replacement panels.
That's what I did. Purchased replacement panels from autobahnsmart dismantlers as recommended by another member. Finished project in the thread 'Here she is!'

·
Registered
2008 451
62 Posts
What kind of cost would she be looking at?
Because I had access to someone local with a forklift to accept the shipment (and a very helpful brother with a big truck), I paid $875 for the whole body and the shipping. That's about half the cost of new panels, and maybe 3/4 of repainting or vinyl wrapping.

The company bought out a Cars2Go fleet and they have white panels available, or did. The panels come with an 'electric drive' plaque on the back, and you can see evidence of the Cars2Go decal that was on the hood. My brother tells me it'll eventually disappear, and the forum folks told me how to remove the plaque, but I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Because I had access to someone local with a forklift to accept the shipment (and a very helpful brother with a big truck), I paid $875 for the whole body and the shipping. That's about half the cost of new panels, and maybe 3/4 of repainting or vinyl wrapping.

The company bought out a Cars2Go fleet and they have white panels available, or did. The panels come with an 'electric drive' plaque on the back, and you can see evidence of the Cars2Go decal that was on the hood. My brother tells me it'll eventually disappear, and the forum folks told me how to remove the plaque, but I haven't done it yet.
Thank you for your quick reply and your direct answer to my question.
It sure beats an answer like
'it's going to be a lot.'
Actually a bit less than what I thought it would be.
Again thank you for a complete answer.

·
Registered
2008 451
62 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply and your direct answer to my question. It sure beats it's going to be a lot. Actually a bit less than what I thought it would be. Again thank you
My brother and I did the old panel removal, and I helped with most of the new panel installation. Unless you do the same, you'll have to pay for that. Finding someone that can do it, and do it for an acceptable price, might be difficult. Paying for an evilution subscription was worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My brother and I did the old panel removal, and I helped with most of the new panel installation. Unless you do the same, you'll have to pay for that. Finding someone that can do it, and do it for an acceptable price, might be difficult. Paying for an evilution subscription was worth every penny.
Oh no. I have no intention of changing the panels on my car.
I was just curious as to the cost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts