Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Passenger side floor board at carpet edge by door sill was shiny wet. Battery box had OVERFLOWED! Siphoned it out and thought the roof was leaking again. NOT! Later noticed water dripping on top of the battery from the A.C. cover. I pulled the rubber hose out of the rubber socket mounted on the side of the battery well going outside under the car and a waterfall ensued into the battery well.
Has anyone pulled the rubber socket/hose going thru the battery well wall out? Mine is apparently stopped up completely, now. It has been slow to drain for years as I have found high water marks on the battery well before, especially after long hot summer trips to the dragon.
Any tips on removal of this rubber socket. I don't want to tear it, but hope I can just pull it out and clean / remove the offending blockage.
Later the next day... I pulled the socket/feed-thru tube out and cleaned it out. It was easy. The slit at the end of the tube was clogged with fine mud and dirt. I sliced about 1/16inch off the end to provide a larger mouth on the end of the tube rather than the thin slit that clogged so easily. The original version is fine if you are only draining distilled water or disassembling and cleaning out every orifice as preventive maintenance. Appears to be a revenue generation design to me. But as we have seen, it can total a car if the electronics get wet. Eyeroll.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had clogged evaporator drains before, but usually due to larger leaf matter clogging the connection to the drain on the evaporator box. Leaf bits would come in through the air intake below the windshield.
I was surprised at the fine grit and dust making up the mud that clogged the narrow slit molded into the tube at the end of the fitting going thru the side wall of the battery sump. It was easy enough to pop out and clean. I cut about 1/16 of an inch off the end of the tube so the hole thru the lips was widened to allow dust and dirt to more easily flush through.
Too bad there is not a similar drain tube on the bottom of the battery well. There is a drain plug UNDER the battery, but if you have ever changed out the battery, that is not much fun to get to.
I guess Monday and Tuesday will be spent removing seats and drying out carpet. My favorite thing. At least my top was not leaking due to all the rain as I expected. A new top right now is not what I wanted to be buying right after my partner's recent two week stay in the hospital. He is still not out of the weeds on that one, but getting better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts