Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my car and am happy with it but all the negative comments from people are just so damn annoying!! Not all people but there are some and it’s like really? Has your mother never taught you to keep your mouth shut if you have nothing nice to say? I mean really, I don’t want to think (which i don’t) that I’m going to die every time I get in the car! It’s different yes, it’s small yes, but that doesn’t mean it’s NOT a car! Yeah yeah ha ha it’s a go kart, whatever, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and they might not want it for themselves but for my 10 minute drive to work and errand runner I love it!! Gives my Tacoma a nice little break! Anyway, sorry guys I just needed to vent. 😬

·
Registered
465 Posts
I get the occasional person to poo-poo the car, but much of what I hear are curious questions by people interested in it.

My favorite comment is, "I bet it's not very fast" to which I note that the computer kicks in a limiter at 90, yet the car still has more to give. More than enough to get a ticket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the occasional person to poo-poo the car, but much of what I hear are curious questions by people interested in it.

My favorite comment is, "I bet it's not very fast" to which I note that the computer kicks in a limiter at 90, yet the car still has more to give. More than enough to get a ticket.
Yep, I’ve had a couple of questions geared towards wanting one too. Infact just yesterday a friend of mine who works near me saw it and he was so excited! Lol he said he researched those cars in depth and wanted to get one but couldn’t find one. Then I have the other friend who is appalled by it and throws out the comments like oh my work cart is bigger than that thing and what’s its speed tops at 70? 🤬

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
The last comment I got was at a gas pump where the guy was filling both the tanks up on his truck. I think he was jealous.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean if I think someone’s car is ugly or unsafe I don’t go and say “hey what are you thinking buying that thing” or “omg you’re gonna die!” 🤷🏻‍♀️🙄

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't get too many comments about our smart cars as they are not driven that much now. However, my next door neighbor saw the first smart car back in 2008 and even went for a ride with me. When he got out, he said the car is,"too small" and he walked away and never spoke to me again.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
About safety questions, I tell them it’s designed by Daimler - actually say Mercedes - one of the premier safety engineered car manufacturers in the world and that they have been designing safer cars since the 1950s. I top it off with a mention that if the smart is involved in an accident an external airbag inflates to protect the entire car and it’s occupants. You would be surprised how many folks believe that! 🤣

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My favorite is the guy on the motorcycle asking me "Is it safe?" :oops:
Exactly!! I used to have a street bike and this car is safer to me! Atleast I’ve got something around me versus “me” around something!! So when people who know me say something negative I’m like really? I used to have a street bike and their like yes you’re right good point!!

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Just remember, the smart motto is "Open Your Mind" - and not everyone gets that. :)

View attachment 64236

That slogan, sure didn’t help the smart brand here. No one got it!

12 years ago, last comment I got. We were out side Crate and Barrel‘s loaded zone. Picking up something. Some ask if we needed help putting the smart car, inside our car.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Tell them about the eight air bags, the tridion safety cage designed after the NASCAR cage, etc. Or better yet, just smile and walk away and think how lucky you are to have such a fun car.

Len

·
Registered
637 Posts
A guy filling up his pickup asked me how much gas I put into my smart. I told him, “half a tank, 4-1/2 gallons.” He let an f-bomb fly and asked what my mileage was. I calculated the mileage for you he 1/2 tank and told him this was a good one at 45mpg, but average about 42. He let an f-bomb fly again and said, “you just got TRIPLE the mileage as my truck!, but if you need a ride. We can throw that thing in the back!” I said, “Hey! Thanks! And if you run out of money for gas, I can give YOU a ride!”

He let another f-bomb fly and said, “I can see I’m not going to win this one! Thanks for the laugh and the lesson!”

Nice guy.

——-

I was getting a case of water when a fellow in the parking lot asked me, “where is the a$$ end of your car?!”

I told him I was on a special payment plan that after I finished paying for the front half, they send the back half in the mail.

——-

I rolled up to talk to a friend at church who didn’t know I had a smart. Incredulously, he asked, “Where did you get THAT??!!”

I told him, “It came free with a Happy Meal.”

——-

A woman standing behind my car in a Walmart asked, “Smart? Who makes smart?”

I told her it was a Mercedes

She replied, “THAT is NOT a Mercedes!!”

I told her, “Sure it is! In Germany, they all start out like this! I hope this one grows up to be an SL600!”

She laughed.

———

A guy in the Home Depot parking lot said, “That’s the smallest car I’ve ever seen. I’ll bet you are thankful you have front-wheel drive in the winter!”

I told him, “It doesn’t. It’s rear-wheel drive.”

He said, “Ooh! I’ll bet they is fun doing doughnuts in the snow!”

I told him, “This car can’t do doughnuts, it’s too small, I can only do Cheerios.”

——-

The best way to deal with wise-crack comments is with a good dose of humor!

·
Registered
2019 Smart EQ
27 Posts
This is the only car I've actually had someone make derogatory comments about and I've driven some hoopties when I was younger.

Had a younger guy trying to cut it down calling it 'dinky' multiple times with intention of insulting. Yes, it is dinky, likely the smallest car being sold in the USA (if not then it's a strong contender). Didn't take the time to explain that yes, it was purchased due to it's diminutive size and uniqueness. It's not worth damaging engines in other cars due to short trips (office 4m from house), and it was actually cheaper to buy this than replace an engine on my truck. The Smart being electric there should be minimal maintenance and it's just a blast of a car to drive. Sadly in the USA, if it's not a known status brand or exotic, then the assumption is that you must have purchased because you're poor.

Beyond all that, it's just a fun car (we lovingly refer to it as the clown car).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Been down that road many years ago with my newly purchased 1962 VW Beetle. They were made fun of from the 1950s into the 1960s. Very much the same as some have heard about their smarts. In addition to their size there were those with still strong memories of WW II. I heard it for both reasons. My Dad and uncles on both sides of my family fought in WW II but I never heard a discouraging word from any of them. Locally where I live in West Virginia I have mostly heard compliments, including from good ole boys in pickup trucks.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
That's not totally off base. There are some cars that are plug in hybrids that have two ports, one for gas and one for electricity - not Smarts though.

Len

1 - 20 of 58 Posts