Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this coming weekend I'm planning on doing the clutch actuator maintenance, and a transmission gear oil change. Since I'll have the clutch actuator off, why not use the opportunity to put it back on in an adjusted position, one notch out, away from the clutch.

The thing is my 2008 has 61,146 miles on it, I don't consider that high miles. But maybe it is, I don't know.

The reason why is I get stuck almost once a day in 20-25 minutes of stop and creep along traffic on the highway. and I'm hoping to smooth out that portion of my drive. I've gotten very good at using the gas pedal, but if I'm tired, and not in tune with the engine, I only have a miserable ride ahead of me. Now, I'm not expecting a lot, just a touch will make me happy.

The question is, is 61,146 too soon to make this adjustment? And how much of an adjustment should I make?

Thank you
Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Jetfuel,

I tried that, but when your creeping along at 10 or below miles per hour for long periods of time the clutch still wants to do it's special dance. Along with my foot giving it a bit to much or to little gas at the wrong time.

For me, I did not notice any difference with the parking brake up a notch.

I'm just hoping for a bit more smoothness

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,103 Posts
You do have the latest firmware, correct? That will also improve shift behavior. My '08 has had two transmission firmware updates.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
With one notch up on the parking brake, when rolling, the parking brake alarm sounds and the creep function is DISABLED. This allows you to coast with out the car trying to creep forward into the car in front of you, when you are simply wanting to coast or roll to a stop. It should help in those trying times. I used it on the way home from the Dragon for several miles on the expressway when a blown tire on a conversion bus motorhome reduced traffic flow to one lane.
It will not eliminate the jerking, but does take away some unwanted acceleration from a dead stop and allows one to coast in that stop and go situation. It helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With one notch up on the parking brake, when rolling, the parking brake alarm sounds and the creep function is DISABLED. This allows you to coast with out the car trying to creep forward into the car in front of you, when you are simply wanting to coast or roll to a stop. It should help in those trying times. I used it on the way home from the Dragon for several miles on the expressway when a blown tire on a conversion bus motorhome reduced traffic flow to one lane.
It will not eliminate the jerking, but does take away some unwanted acceleration from a dead stop and allows one to coast in that stop and go situation. It helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dose anyone know where the clutch actuator relay is, also I put a new actuator in and can’t get it to work properly my smart is a 2008 passion changed engine , new clutch but I can’t get it to engage, it only engages slightly, need advice

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like it's not installed properly, how did you adjust it? I believe it is supposed to be pre-loaded with some force. Memory says 15lbs, but I've not got a lot of faith in my memory here as 15lbs of force would be an odd measurement for a metric car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts