Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife was driving our Smart the other day when it stalled as she came to a stop and would not restart. We had it towed to the house where I intended to fix it. I'm not very familiar with the vehicle, this was my first time really having to work on it. It threw the code P0901. I removed the clutch actuator to examine it. The worm gear had broken inside.

Ordered a used one off ebay. It came, I opened it up and cleaned it, lubed it, and installed it. When I switched the key to the on position, I heard what I thought was the actuator moving. I figured the transmission was cycling to park since it was in gear when it was last running. Attempted to start the vehicle but I got nothing. I then cycled through the transmission positions, and back to park. The car then started.

Now I attempted to drive it. However, as I moved the shifter, I only had P or N display on the dash even though I could move the selector to every position. The car would not go into gear. Turned the vehicle off, and checked for codes again. I was now getting P0805 and P0900. I removed the clutch actuator again and checked it inside and out. Followed all wiring as far as I could. Everything seems ok. Reinstalled the clutch actuator and now the car won't start at all. Getting the three lines on the dash. Tried the transmission teach in, no luck.

2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Convertible
All fuses are good.
Battery voltage is good.
Brake lights work.
Had the software updated last year sometime.

Don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hi Irish, I recall someone saying that anytime the actuator is being disconnected and removed, the battery should be disconnected first. No idea what else could be going on with your fix.

-wahi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Wahi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I should've mentioned I disconnected the battery each time I removed the clutch actuator. I also tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight thinking it may need time to discharge any capacitors. Is there a way to test the actuator outside of the vehicle?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Irish, I had the actuator issue on two of my smarts. The first time was on my 08 Pure which I had sent over to MErcedes for fixing (May 2010), same Dead on Road scene as yours, and got the actuator replaced by them for some $650.00. Good until now.
The second was on Cheewawa, a 2008 Passion which I got from Unicycle in 2013. I got a used actuator from a seller in Canada and lubed it up before installing it. I had to redo the positioning of the 'new to me' actuator a few times. That meant adjusting it either towards or away from the tranny. To what degree? I don't recall anymore. I am sure others who'd done tranny swaps could chime in on how best to place the actuator on the tranny.

I know I didn't answer your question. But this is what I have done to mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jwight, at least I know I didn't mess up when I swapped out the clutch actuator. Still haven't found the issue. I'm thinking it's somewhere in between the plug for the actuator and wherever that wiring harness ends up going. Hoping to have some time tomorrow to try and trace it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe since it was in gear when it went out put it in gear unhook the battery put the the actuator in hook the battery up and see if that works

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is that accordion rubber looking thing where people spray that lubricant for like when I got stuck and couldn't shift it into gears?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
278 Posts
Ety Bity, No, spraying there was not enough for me. I had to remove the part and open it up, clean out the old dried up gunk and replace it with new grease to get it to run right.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
278 Posts
Diane, besides lubing the actuator, I have relubed the shifter knob, and cleaned the two shifter motors. The motors were fouled with transmission fluid residue possibly from fluid foaming. Cleaning these motors and putting in the correct fluid solved my shifting problems. I still have a worm clutch, so sometimes the car refuses to find reverse. But through careful application of the hand brake to relieve pressure on the parking paug, and sometimes having to inch forward in drive first, I’ve no need for an expensive new clutch.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank goodness, sounds like a lot of work. I was told, after my freak incident, to squirt some lubricant into the little boot of the actuator. I didn't do it, because I wasn't sure about where it was located and if I found the right one. You said that your's was gunked up with old grease...had you put grease in it during previous services? Glad you got it all done and figured out.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Thank goodness, sounds like a lot of work. I was told, after my freak incident, to squirt some lubricant into the little boot of the actuator. I didn't do it, because I wasn't sure about where it was located and if I found the right one. You said that your's was gunked up with old grease...had you put grease in it during previous services? Glad you got it all done and figured out.
Yes, you CAN shoot lube through the bellows, but is much more effective to remove the actuator and clean and relube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts