Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Cabrio pulled up to a stop sign and wouldn't go any further. The engine revved when I hit the gas but it didn't move and I noticed it was in drive, but said 'N' on the dash. I couldn't get it out of neutral. Turned the car off and it wouldn't start up again.

Mercedes wants $1200 to fix. I want to do it myself. I had them do the diagnostic for $100 and the tech said there was a short in the clutch actuator. I towed it home and took the actuator apart and found the worm drive snapped. I told the tech that I was going to find a used part and install it myself. He said that was risky because there's a chance the part would be "locked" to it's original ECU and they would not be able to program it. This doesn't sound right to me, and I can't find any stories online to corroborate it. I found a couple used actuators for around $250 and I could install it myself, I would just need to have the dealer program and adjust it I guess. Does anybody know if the tech's story holds water? Is a part like this "locked" to the car in which it is installed?

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
..there's another case here in the asylum of such problem...
...the elders with be here soon to show the thread I'm sure..

Jetfuel...good memory but suck at searching....

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
...there's one thread here..broken actuator arm..after replacement there was a "key procedure"....
....on another note...been going thru stickies and there are so many threads about actuators and clutch related issues that made me have a brain fart...a thought...

...one stickie...clutch...and within it all removal....cleaning..lubing...beer brakes and the likes...

Jetfuel....I know....get to it...but I'm not a mod:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
...here you go again Larry...
...the op has a question on how to repair his ride and your solution is to "not buying a smart"....quite intelligent on your part....
....I can almost hear you all the way at my house on how bad it hurts....I'll say its time for you to re-load the medicine cabinet with Vagisil....

Jetfuel...here to help...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SACHS Part # K7053201

Is $330 a good price for the whole clutch? Sachs/ZF makes this stupid transmission.
Rockauto is first class and normally cheaper. I buy fleet parts for my Union City Body/Chevy stepvan from one of their fleet companies. Work great.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/zfservices/
Found the clutch kit (and they list the lift gate pressure rods) here. I bet we can get even more parts by using ZF/Sachs part numbers, not MB...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
...here you go again Larry...
...the op has a question on how to repair his ride and your solution is to "not buying a smart"....quite intelligent on your part....
....I can almost hear you all the way at my house on how bad it hurts....I'll say its time for you to re-load the medicine cabinet with Vagisil....

Jetfuel...here to help...
$1200 is INSANE....even for you...:wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I FINALLY had some time tonight to work on this little project again.

I finished re-assembling the actuator. Lubed it up with spray Lithium grease like I've posted in another thread, and installed it.

And the dramatic result......

IT WORKED!!!

No fuss, no noise, no codes. It just worked. Like I never had it apart.:)

I have to be honest with everyone. I really didn't expect it to work. I figured as far as I took it apart, I had to screw up something. But I didn't. It worked flawlessly. Took it for a short drive around the neighborhood. It worked in auto, it worked fine in manual. I purposely went up and down the gears as fast as I could to try and make it screw up. It worked just like it's suppose to.

I guess the obvious conclusion to draw here is not to believe all the B.S. smart is feeding us about teaching in the clutch. I had this unit farther apart than smart ever intended, and installed it in my own car right on the marks where the original was, and it just worked. No Star machine, no codes.

The sensor in the motor is still a mystery. I have to assume it's some kind of hall effect that simply senses rotation. It can't count, or else all the bench running I did would have screwed it up.

Next, I would like to take the cover back off, and see if I can video it in action. I know it worked lightening fast on the bench with no clutch load on it. I'd like to see how it works in situ. Now to see if I have time to do it before the Covered Bridge Run.

Hey Chief, you want your actuator back????:D
THANKS GUYS! I found what I was looking for in the "Clutch Actuator disected" thread. He dissected and installed a used actuator with no issues. Now I am much more confident in going the cheap route and installing it myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts