Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Smart for two 451 wont go into gear sometimes, I was told I need a new shift drive motor. Is that the motor on the clutch actuator.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
My Smart for two 451 wont go into gear sometimes, I was told I need a new shift drive motor. Is that the motor on the clutch actuator.

Get to a smart center and have the software updates done first. That usually fixes the issue. Clutch actuator is big $$$, save that option for last.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
There are three motors involved. But get the software updated first! There is a clutch actuator motor, that operates the clutch, and then two motors that control the shifting of the gears. One for odd numbered gears and one for the even numbered gears. The symptoms are different for the different motors and the check engine light codes will point you to the right motor, if the software has already been done.
WhiteNblack08 is certainly our clutch actuator resident expert, knowing them both inside and out. :D

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I have a friend who bought a used 09 last fall. He had this same issue about a month ago, I sent him to the local smart center, $52 for the update, and the problem is gone.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Thanks for the info. I have already cleaned and lubed my clutch actuator, but one of the garages here in town told me I needed a shift drive motor. Sometimes I cant get it to go into Rev. I'll go get the soft wear updates first, but I probably am going to need the actuator and a clutch before long I have 135,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
OK Thanks for the info. I have already cleaned and lubed my clutch actuator, but one of the garages here in town told me I needed a shift drive motor. Sometimes I cant get it to go into Rev. I'll go get the soft wear updates first, but I probably am going to need the actuator and a clutch before long I have 135,000 miles on the car.

Not necessarily, don't go spending money you don't need to. I'm at 125K, and I don't see any need for a clutch or actuator yet. I know of a couple of higher mileage smarts that haven't replaced these parts yet.

I'm sure when he says shift drive motor, he means the clutch actuator. If it was a shift motor, you would have trouble with more than reverse.

Like I said, the software patch is specific for the no reverse issue. You should notice an improvement in overall shift quality as well. My friend did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Thanks again. I'll go get the updates. I'm in Central Va. the Mercedes Dealer is in Northern Va. outside of DC. What did you pay to get the updates

·
Registered
691 Posts
My dealer is saying I need a shift motor for my ongoing problems with the car throwing a code that translates to low signal for input B. That's R, 2, and 4, apparently. All plugs and sockets have been cleaned and lubed as have the shift motors, but the problem is back,... so it looks like $500 plus is going into a "hope this fixes it " attempt at the dealer. If this doesn't get it fixed I'm going to have to start looking for a replacement vehicle.
Does anyone have any info on a bad brake switch possibly having some influence in the motors function? I seem to remember something about the switch being related to similar problems, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Have you considered either a shft motor from a wreck, or even taking your shift motor apart and cleaning out the grundge from the brushes? Or have you done that already? You did say you had cleaned and lubed them. I'm curious if you had disassembled the shift motor itself.
Some one detailed that nicely on here somewhere and that fixed their problem. Oil from the transmission and carbon from the brushes made a nice conductive paste that shunted the power away from the motor, preventing the motor changing the gears. This seems like it would be well within your level of expertise. The motors are fairly easy to reach, once the air cleaner box is out of the way. Make it a weekend project and go for it. Pictures would be nice. :D
Five hundred dollars is really high, but then again, that is a lot cheaper than car payments on a new one, assuming yours is paid for.
Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Roughly 1000 miles ago, I pulled everything apart and every piece got a total clean, lube, and adjust. I don't think it should be so common a problem and not be addressed by M Benz as a recall. Clearly there is a problem in the system that needs to be addressed.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Recall? Recall? what's a recall? I don't think that is in the MB vocabulary unless mandated by some governing body. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts