Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it hurt the transmission to put it in neutral to coast down a slight grade to hyper mile then shift back to drive? Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
Also, if the idea is to get maximum fuel economy, it can be be more efficient to leave the car in gear when coasting as many modern cars entirely shut off fuel delivery in those cases.

·
17,478 Posts
Unless the hill you're coasting down is quite long and engine braking would slow you down too much, there is no benefit to shifting into Neutral. Downhill coasting in Neutral gives you roughly 150 mpg. Downhill coasting in gear shuts fuel off to the engine so it's functionally unlimited mpg.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Unless the hill you're coasting down is quite long and engine braking would slow you down too much, there is no benefit to shifting into Neutral. Downhill coasting in Neutral gives you roughly 150 mpg. Downhill coasting in gear shuts fuel off to the engine so it's functionally unlimited mpg.
Only 150mpg's? I regularly get over 250-300 mpg when coasting especially on a long hill according to my scangage. I pulse and glide as much as I can (traffic permitting) . Sometimes I blip the trottle when putting into gear to match the rpm but is not always necessary, you need to know your vehicle's quirks. I get the best mileage when I pulse and glide verses holding a set speed. ymmv. Chumly

·
17,478 Posts
I did say "roughly" lol.

The hills where I am aren't steep or long enough to justify kicking it into Neutral. Instead I'll just blip the throttle then coast down in gear.

Though admittedly I don't care about hypermiling anymore. If I wanna save on fuel I'll ride my Ruckus clone. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts