Smart Car of America Forum banner

Code P0418 and P0303

7K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Gorilla-Hunter 
#1 ·
Hello there everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum. I ended up buying a code reader off of walmart the hyper tough ht309, just something to help me take a look at the codes and to wipe them, before I wiped them P0418 and P0300+ were the main ones I saw and I can even look back at the pictures I took if confirmation is needed, anyways I wiped out the codes again and I still got the same P0418 and P0303. I'm a bit new to this and I'm trying to mainly see if I can fix P0418 however the manual and online resources aren't much help since I don't now where to find "Secondary Air Injection System Control A circuit" from what the code reader tells me. Anyways any insight on which part I might need, or how I can fix this issue would be much appreciated thank you so much.

#3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply, I'll probably be doing that if it's recommended, however I'm trying to look online for any pictures/videos or anything on how to change the part or at least the location however I'm not having much luck in that regard and the link you sent I don't see any pictures there or anything that shows me how to get to said part or even what the location looks like, again any help would be much appreciated and happy new years as well.

#8 ·
So I ended up replacing the fuse and no dice, still have the same error of P0418. I should probably explain my situation a bit more though, the car itself runs fine during daytime and stuff when it's warm, runs like a dream, however when I drive home during nighttime when it's cold the car becomes a lot more difficult to drive where the engine light would blink constantly and not only that but it would become difficult to accelerate and the car would stutter from time to time. It's not always like this thankfully, however when it is, it becomes not such a great experience driving the car and becomes quite worrisome. If the change over valve is indeed the part I have to replace I'll try it out, but I just thought I'd add this information and see if there's something else I should be changing besides the valve, or to check if that would help with my situation.

#9 ·
So after a while and procrastinating for a bit I finally switched out the Secondary air injection changeover valve anddddddd same issues. The P0418 came back almost instantly after taking it out for a drive and error P0303 came back the 2nd day of driving my car. I was originally planning on not posting back until I had a bad experience, and well today was that day, the 3rd day of driving my car to work the car was being difficult with me, the car struggled to accelerate from 0 and I was legit worried every time I had to stop at a stop sign/red light since I had to press hard on the gas pedal to get the car to go to 30-45 and not only that but the engine got pretty loud as well when I pushed hard on the pedal, the only thing that fixed my issue was to turn off the car/restart it at a red light and the problems I had pretty much went away, I didn't have to press hard on the pedal to get it to move and it was basically back to normal thankfully, also I noticed that when I restarted my car there was much more colder air from the AC so not sure if that helps on identifying the issue or anything like that but I thought I minus include any details I could find. Also while I'm posting this I just added pictures on my "adventure" of replacing the valve. Again any sort of helpful tips/feedback/things I can try would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Hello,

In the third photo you posted, do you or anyone on here know where that goes? I know that it leads to a little pneumatic valve. In the photo I found on Evilution, it is blue. Then there is a hose that leads off of that. I do not have this hose in the picture at all. So, I can't begin to imagine where it leads to and what it attaches to. Also, that little valve and the hose are impossible to find, so, if anyone has a part number, a diagram, or any insight that is more than WIS and Evilution have been able to provide, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is what mine looks like:

Thanks in advance!

B

#10 ·
the P0303 is a cylinder miss which may cause the other error (?) I would change the plugs and possibly the coils. If the car senses a cylinder misfire, it will shut down that cylinder to save the motor. If you lose 1/3 of the motor, it doesn't run too well. Sometimes you can pull over and shut the car down and restart to clear the p0303 code. Theory is that when it gets cold, a coil stops working. Once it warms up, it starts working again. Fought this on one of my smarts for awhile until coils arrived. Also use the longer life spark plugs so you don't have to change them so often

#11 ·
Sad thing is, is that replacing the Spark Plugs/Coils was the first thing the mechanic that checked my car mentioned I should do but sadly that itself only seemed to temporarily fix the issue, one thing that caught my eye that I'm not sure might add anything is that when I was replacing the spark plugs is that there was quite a lot of oil in there, these pictures are the ones I took while replacing my plugs, coils not much to show so I won't put the pictures on unless asked to.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.