Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gas 2016 Smart car and the first code was for an oxygen sensor and they replaced it...and they reset and engine light went out..one day later engine light back on. Took it to where I bought it again(Toyota Dealership) and a few things came up that they do not understand. So next week they are sending it 50 miles away to the only Mercedes dealership near us to see what they can figure out.
Thank goodness I bought a repair plan so they are responsible for everything and no deductible and a loaner.

My question...to ease my mind, did I buy a lemon in the 2016 Smart Car or will Mercedes figure it all out and make me happy? I love driving it and have only had it about 22 days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Our '16 Passion has been back to the dealer for several things; gas tank, emissions system, and virtually the entire a/c system replacement (Freon lines even), and a noisy window.

No O2 sensor problems, tho.

Overall, it has been worth the $, as everything was covered by the factory warranty as it is @ 40K miles, and was a lot sitter at the original dealer for over a year so the warranty is still valid.

It is a blast to drive with the 5sp manual.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our '16 Passion has been back to the dealer for several things; gas tank, emissions system, and virtually the entire a/c system replacement (Freon lines even), and a noisy window.

No O2 sensor problems, tho.

Overall, it has been worth the $, as everything was covered by the factory warranty as it is @ 40K miles, and was a lot sitter at the original dealer for over a year so the warranty is still valid.

It is a blast to drive with the 5sp manual.

S u b R o s a
Thanks for the response....mine only has 19,000miles and was a trade in and an automatic. Warranty expires this month and that is why we purchased a 3yr/55,000 plan....I drive about 2,000 a yr so the 3 years will come first.
Everything else works great on this car except the engine light coming on and I am thinking it may be electrical as I have driven 68 miles on a full tank with 8 bars on the gauge and it has not moved...no way I am getting that many miles to a gallon LOL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know about the 453, but my 451 normally shows 70 to 80 miles driven before it looses one bar on
the petrol gauge. You are actually burning off the reserve, before the gauge shows the gallons remaining.
As you burn a gallon, the gauge will drop one bar to the next gallon remaining. When you get to the last
gallon, gauge start showing remaining tenths of a gallon.............
The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Uses fuel to keep the motor cool. I always fill up, when I
am down to about 2 bars, to protect the fuel pump...................

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thanks for the response....mine only has 19,000miles and was a trade in and an automatic. Warranty expires this month and that is why we purchased a 3yr/55,000 plan....I drive about 2,000 a yr so the 3 years will come first.
Everything else works great on this car except the engine light coming on and I am thinking it may be electrical as I have driven 68 miles on a full tank with 8 bars on the gauge and it has not moved...no way I am getting that many miles to a gallon LOL.
That many miles on the first bar is about normal. Can be + or - 60 miles for my 2016 auto. The gauge will drop faster for other bars. Some of the codes that can be thrown may not be readable by usual code readers because Mercedes uses a proprietary code system. Hope the Mercedes dealer it was shipped to is certified to service your car. Most are not. If that dealer sold and serviced smarts previously you should be ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about the 453, but my 451 normally shows 70 to 80 miles driven before it looses one bar on
the petrol gauge. You are actually burning off the reserve, before the gauge shows the gallons remaining.
As you burn a gallon, the gauge will drop one bar to the next gallon remaining. When you get to the last
gallon, gauge start showing remaining tenths of a gallon.............
The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank. Uses fuel to keep the motor cool. I always fill up, when I
am down to about 2 bars, to protect the fuel pump...................
Before the sensor was replaced all I got in mileage was 153 miles to a full tank...this time I switched to premium(Toyota put regular in it) so not sure what the difference will be. It took 7 gallons to fill with one bar left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That many miles on the first bar is about normal. Can be + or - 60 miles for my 2016 auto. The gauge will drop faster for other bars. Some of the codes that can be thrown may not be readable by usual code readers because Mercedes uses a proprietary code system. Hope the Mercedes dealer it was shipped to is certified to service your car. Most are not. If that dealer sold and serviced smarts previously you should be ok.
Not sure about what they sold or serviced, but I was told by the Toyota dealer that they were the only ones available closest to me and they set up the appointment for my Smart to go there on Tuesday....otherwise Mercedes probably would have told them no I suspect.
I love this car and for only owning it 21 days, not sure I will still love it after winter shows up here in Ohio but we will see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts