Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread, I asked about the differences between the various aftermarket replacement coil packs available.

To recap, the iCarSoft reported a misfire on cylinder #1. I ended up buying new, aftermarket performance coil packs (looks like the same mfg as the smart madness ones) and plugs.

Because it was easier to access the bolts on the #3 and #2 cylinders than #1, I started at #3. The #3 plug looked good. The #2 plug looked good. The #1 plug was missing the ground tab (the hook on the end of a spark plug) and the tip of the electrode. I haven't tested to confirm, but I suspect that the (original) coil pack helped the plug meet it end.

I installed the new plugs and coil packs and crossed my fingers that all of the debris that had been attached to the spark plug blew out with the exhaust. A couple hundred miles have been put on the car since then and it has been working fine.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
In a previous thread, I asked about the differences between the various aftermarket replacement coil packs available.

To recap, the iCarSoft reported a misfire on cylinder #1. I ended up buying new, aftermarket performance coil packs (looks like the same mfg as the smart madness ones) and plugs.

Because it was easier to access the bolts on the #3 and #2 cylinders than #1, I started at #3. The #3 plug looked good. The #2 plug looked good. The #1 plug was missing the ground tab (the hook on the end of a spark plug) and the tip of the electrode. I haven't tested to confirm, but I suspect that the (original) coil pack helped the plug meet it end.

I installed the new plugs and coil packs and crossed my fingers that all of the debris that had been attached to the spark plug blew out with the exhaust. A couple hundred miles have been put on the car since then and it has been working fine.
Is the iCarSoft doing well with the Smart coding process. ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the iCarSoft doing well with the Smart coding process. ?
I have only used it to read and clear Mercedes-specific codes thrown and run through the I/M Readiness stuff.

If there is something that you would like tried to see if it works, send me a message and I will give it a shot when I return home on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ok here is the thing..... I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.....
To explain that, I mean, so far I have run into no situation that I have been told the Mercedes Benz Star Diagnostic scanning system was needed to service my vehicle. So I have only heard of things like to activate driving lights (for a weak example of such a thing). The one shop that does at any repair major work on my Smart has the MB star system. So what I really want to know or is can the Smart car software reader access and then manipulate some Smart system behavior. In my case reverse the traction control disable function. Instead of defalut, on, and turn off with the two button hold down ignition switch on proceedure, to default, off, and turn on with the two button hold down ignition switch on proceedure. On a rainny day I could turn it on. At any time I could pull over and turn it on. But by default it would be off. So its this specific thing I want that makes me want a scanner that can access and minipulate certian processes of the Smart car. So I have no real idea of what I am talking about I just know what I would like to be able to do. When I don't even know if the MB star system could do that. I do feel, and rightfully so, that a shop owner with a MB star system would not be eagar to induldge my foolishness. And thats my full disclosure before you spend any part of your Sunday indulging my foolishness lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what I really want to know or is can the Smart car software reader access and then manipulate some Smart system behavior.
I just checked out the MBII on our car. It just does DTC code scanning and clearing (as well as controller info and actual signal value reporting). It does not do "adaptations" like you want to do.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Because it's a safety system. It may not be able to be manipulated. It could be written into the code in the computer.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Cool. Thank For your time. I will be reading up on signal value reporting's importance..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Because it's a safety system. It may not be able to be manipulated. It could be written into the code in the computer.
I'm sure. But in the case of the traction control on by default and can be shut off manually. If that code can be reversed to off by default and turned on manually I would want that.ú So yes I want to hack more than read the software. The ABS would more likely be move guarded against manipulation .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Have you seen the "fuse 11" trick? Removing it removes primary power from the ESP controller. You could make a dash switch in one of the open switch positions below the radio that will open fuse 11 to disable stability control and close fuse 11 to enable it.

Disclaimer - I think that it is a bad idea to disable the ESP controller in a smart driven on the road.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Disclaimer - I think that it is a bad idea to disable the ESP controller in a smart driven on the road.
When I bought my first Smart it was wintertime in Wisconsin. Little did I know it had some issues that would throw errors onto the canbus and disabled the ESP. On slick roads such a rear wheel drive vehicle with such a short wheelbase very quickly attempts to rectify traction issues by attempting to become a top or FWD at the slightest provocation.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Have you seen the "fuse 11" trick? Removing it removes primary power from the ESP controller. You could make a dash switch in one of the open switch positions below the radio that will open fuse 11 to disable stability control and close fuse 11 to enable it.

Yes to the fuse 11 pull knowledge. There is also the 2 button hold, blinking esp, then start car method. But again as the only driver of the car I would prefer default off.
Agree to your disclaimer for everyone but me lol.
Note and determine why experienced Porsche drivers turn of traction control on track days. ABS is another assist that is not always wanted by experienced driver's on track day... Not trying to be crazy just enjoy the feel of the car ( classic road car drivers call it pure) with out all the driver assist.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes to the fuse 11 pull knowledge. There is also the 2 button hold, blinking esp, then start car method. But again as the only driver of the car I would prefer default off.
Agree to your disclaimer for everyone but me lol.
Note and determine why experienced Porsche drivers turn of traction control on track days. ABS is another assist that is not always wanted by experienced driver's on track day... Not trying to be crazy just enjoy the feel of the car ( classic road car drivers call it pure) with out all the driver assist.
I think a ESP button on the dash would be the ideal way to do something like this. However, despite being a rally competitor and official, I still wouldn't turn it completely off, except momentarily.

I was competing in winter TSD rallies in a VW R32 and the stability control would shut the engine down in snowy hairpin turns, so I had my navigator turn off ESP going into the turn (a one second button hold) and then I would turn it back on as we came out of the turn. Doing downhill snowy hairpins in the smart, I can steer the car to get the back end to step out, but on uphill snowy hairpins it just about turns off the engine. It would be nice to be able to disable just that.

Having said that, have you looked through the premium content on evolution.co.uk?

I combed through the factory workshop manual. I could see how STAR could be used for coding features, but no coding info in the ESP section.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think a ESP button on the dash would be the ideal way to do something like this. However, despite being a rally competitor and official, I still wouldn't turn it completely off, except momentarily.

I was competing in winter TSD rallies in a VW R32 and the stability control would shut the engine down in snowy hairpin turns, so I had my navigator turn off ESP going into the turn (a one second button hold) and then I would turn it back on as we came out of the turn. Doing downhill snowy hairpins in the smart, I can steer the car to get the back end to step out, but on uphill snowy hairpins it just about turns off the engine. It would be nice to be able to disable just that.

Having said that, have you looked through the premium content on evolution.co.uk?

I combed through the factory workshop manual. I could see how STAR could be used for coding features, but no coding info in the ESP section.
Great input from a Rally driver.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Ask the guys over here what ECU setup/programming they run:

Almost two years ago I did a search and found a local '13 Panamera on sale. We had unfortunately lost our '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia to an accident and were looking for a replacement. The HUGE N-spec tires grip the road like a train on rails. Even with non-spec tires there's a ton of grip, you just feel it. In the smart every time the traction control activates, it may have just saved your life. (It will be interesting to see what they say over there. They have lots of racing experience as I understand and even sell one of the rear disc conversions I was hoping to eventually get).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Due to the problems I've had with smartMadness coil packs.
I cannot recommend smartmadness
coil packs.

One of three failed while i was backing out of the garage. Bear in mind these packs have less than 3000 miles on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts