Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cold Air Intake

Flux Capacitor Fan Version-2

you may spot the 2.5" exhaust pipe and various home depot parts, this is a prototype.
with the new flux capacitor fan, "FCF V-2", its prime objective will be to force air thru the down pipe and blow over the intake filter contained within a shroud, letting the excess blow past the filter, thru the compartment aiding in heat reduction. this should be about the best possible cai to achive. the looks have to grow on you. the V-2 is a smaller fan and looks similar to the 450 intake.

the vendor rates this fan at 1550 cfm, (freeair?). at 6.7a.
on the top end, engine rpms, if its not enough, the shroud is open and it can suck all the free air as needed.
the cfm reqd for 1000cc at 6ooo rpm at 100% efficency is only 100 cfm.

scoop? the fan sticks out almost 2" already. i dont care for anything past that, althou it may help. the fan running is way more forced cold (ambient) air than anything else for a cai NA motor so far.

like it or not, thats my story and im sticking to it. :)

(ok, this is originally jacks/smart-turbochargers idea and works excellent.)
http://www.smart-turbochargers.com/welcome.html

the wiring is not complete yet, it will be powered on the switched 12v and a seperate switch so i can shut it off, as when someone asks me what the heck is that? a FCF V-2?

sorry, no kits available at this time :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Nice work Donny. One of the sharpest and cleanest smart I have seen. You even have the YELLOW LUG NUT COVERS. What is your next project on your to do list for your smart?

THANKS! you must have noticed, i forgot to put them back on in the first picture.
it does look plain, rear to the front, (enough so you noticed and without your glasses).

heres my link if your interested

and now i offer free 1 year loss replacement.

project? no,
but next im waiting for Boris and Rachel to have their open house at the "NEW" Smartmadness store.
http://www.smartmadness.com/servlet/the-template/Store-Catalog/Page

and the fan,
sorry, no kits available at this time :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ive been watching the temp on the scangauge. i see quite a difference, obviously much lower temps and feels like its running better all day.
this isnt something for the normal person to due. i like the end result on the iat. and the looks? well, ok.

after looking at the stock system, it is quite restrictive and the just cai is a big step? in the right direction. imo.

sorry, no kits available at this time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having seen the above pictures, I just had to drive over to Don's house to see the finished product. First off Don is meticulous in everything he does. This setup, at first glance, looks like a factory option, not something a person just threw together. He explained how every piece was designed - a small piece of exhaust piping from a local muffler shop, a PVC fitting from Home Depot, a section of pipe used for venting a clothes dryer, all held together with hose clamps. All the pieces fit perfectly together. This is all held in place with a thick piece of aluminum strapping that is pop riveted to the dryer pipe. This strapping is bent "just so" so that it fits exactly on to the nut and stud that supports the cold air intake pipe. This pipe is spray painted YELLOW, the exact color of the smart. The above picture does not adequately show the yellow as the flash fades it out.
He has installed a small rocker switch in to a panel that is mounted under the center of the dash. The switch manually turns on the fan. This fan forces more than enough air to the K&N air filter that is attached to the cold air intake pipe. The excess air that bypasses the air filter helps cool the ambient air around the engine. When I turned on the fan and felt the air coming threw the small gap around the filter, I could not see the use of a shroud to force more air.

What a GREAT looking setup! I just had to brag about the work that Don does.

Some times PRAISE is better that CRITICISM.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I could not see the use of a shroud to force more air.
It would help. If one had more air, it would cool the engine compartment even more. Then, consider if the fan is off, the shroud would help draw air flowing past the side of the car past the blades into the car's engine compartment because if the fan is off, it is creating resistance.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I agree with Worker Not, there is no need for an air scoop. I don't see a reason for the fan to be off while the car is running, therefor having a scoop is just redundant. Don's work is second to none and I'm positive that if a scoop was needed, he would have utilized one. Again, great work Don!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
oh come on you 2, its not that big of a deal. first off its a home depot hodge podge of parts. second is who knows if the scoop thing would work, its personal preferance and i dont care for it. the fan forces way more air over the filter than the motor uses. the end result is whats important and im quite pleased. but thanks for your opinions. their appreciated.

FCF V-2
sorry, no kits available at this time.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The only change I would make would be to add a thermostatic switch just behind and below or above the air filter, which ever location would become warm first. I would enjoy the satisfaction of seeing the fan function as desired when needed and watching the air intake temps go lower on the scan gauge.
The source may be Home Depot; the materials may be commonly used for venting dryers; in actuality sheet metal ducting and clamps have been custom formed and custom painted to achieve a custom installation by a craftsman with a high degree of expertise and attention to detail!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing you time, and talent, Don! Many of us REALLY appreciate the fruits of your labor! Looks very functional to me. It would be interesting to see the intake air temp changes with the fan on and off especially while sitting in traffic.
Rich and The BB Benz.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
the iat is a strange 1 to watch and control. cfm changes and the temp goes up at a stop and down when taking off. the temp goes up when going downhill and down when going up hill unless its steep. between the scan gauge being minutes behind real time and the iat being buried in the tb mass somewhere, the numbers do not move exactly as antissapated.
overall with the fan running all the time i see much lower temps across the board.

my scan gauge is a version 2 and is not real time. anybody who wants to disagree with me about my gauge may be mistaken. the tach does not follow the rpms precisley and the iat jumps in the direction its moving.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
IIRC, there's been plenty of earlier threads that discussed the scangauge values displayed as averages over the last x seconds. For example, that was cited as one reason why you can't substitute a Scangauge for a real tach. Having said that, I like mine and would buy one again!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.