Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into new CAI. Didnt want to high jack anyones thread so thought I would ask here.

Smart Madness has the SILA which I prefer this look, but wondering what are my options. I saw one from Boesch, but not sure if he still makes them. Is this style the only one out there?? Also on Smart Madness site it shows the Sila hooking up to a Rubber Gromet that has smart madness sticker on it connecting to side scoop. Does that come with the kit??

Noticed Smart Madness has a Trio system, but not a fan for the outside air scoop or the price.

Also wondering which has better gains or about the same??

Last how is the sound?

·
17,349 Posts
To be honest? You can't go wrong with any of the aftermarket intakes. Both the intakes over at Smart Madness and the one offered by Matt (Boeschbuilt) are great quality.

In addition, there's another route you can take which will yield similar benefits for a fraction of the cost:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f19/low-budget-intake-26781/. I'm running this setup, with a high performance air filter.

I'm not sure about if the grommet will come with the SM intakes, but it's worth a call to make sure.

As for gains:

- An intake not sealed to the outside vent will draw in some engine bay heat. At slow speeds this might kill some power, but you could see an increase in fuel economy.

- An intake sealed to the outside vent (the ones with the grommet and Barney's Low Budget Intake) will draw in mostly outside air. You can get both economy and a couple extra HP depending on how you drive.

Of course, those are just generalizations. Our lovely SCoA mechanics can further add on/correct where necessary.

As for noise? In my experience, it gives the exhaust note a little more grunt, and at full throttle, you might actually be able to hear the car sucking in air!!!!

·
17,349 Posts
Brabus, that's the best looking smart scoop I've ever seen!! Where did you get it??

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I had the SM intake and silicone tube (that you called a grommet) and it seemed to give more power (seat dyno) but certainly gave it a better sound to the extent that I did not bother to install an aftermarket exhaust that I had purchased for the smart.(mostly for the sound but also for the potential performance improvement.)

·
17,349 Posts
Save the money and do the budget intake mod.
And on top of that, you'll have more customization options for the air filter, free up some space in the engine bay, is easily reversible (if you don't hack the resonator in half), and is extremely reliable.

48k on mine and still loving it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I had the SM intake and silicone tube (that you called a grommet) and it seemed to give more power (seat dyno) but certainly gave it a better sound to the extent that I did not bother to install an aftermarket exhaust that I had purchased for the smart.(mostly for the sound but also for the potential performance improvement.)
I installed the smart-madness silicone hose this year just before OTD...It seemed more powerful but it 's more seat of the pants effect (most likely). Sound is quiet when just lumbering along but it gives a nice little growl out of the scoop when I get on the throttle. The minus effect that I noticed I was getting a tad less mpg this year at the dragon. In the previous years I was able to muster 42 or so mpg for the trip, but this year I was down to 40 mpg for the trip. I guess I had the car growling a little bit too much....:D

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I've been happy with the air scoop (GT Styling, smoked (part # GT4810)) from Smart Madness and Evilution's silicone tube.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Somewhere back in the mists of time is a discussion by Breathless Performance on some testing they did on various intake options. I think their conclusion was the stock airbox, with a low restriction filter, was the way to go (if I remember correctly that was before the various intake tubes were available.) Adding an intake tube with the above setup seems to be the way to go. YMMV, of course. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts