Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am inheriting a smart in a few days and I'd like to add a few things to make it my own.

I've heard adding cool air intakes helps the car's performance. Any suggestions on what type to purchase and how to install or should I take it to the dealer. I've never been much of a car person until I fell in love with the smarts.

Also, I've driven the smart I'm being given before and it doesn't seem to steer as smoothly as I'd like. She bought it when they first came to the U.S. I believe it's an '08 Passion. Is there any way to fix the steering?

I would definitely take any other mod suggestions to improve performance or just spice it up a bit. She never changed anything from factory. I've been playing around on smartmadness.com. So I'll take any suggestions I can get from the pros around here.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
You'll get as many opinions as there are intakes. The good news is you have an 08 - getting the resonator out is much easier than on later models.

There's also a DIY intake you might want to try: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f19/low-budget-intake-26781/ :)

As far as steering, most owners are pretty happy with the way the car handles and steers. Any issues with the tires or maybe having hit a pothole or something in the past?

·
Vendor
3,594 Posts
I would definitely take any other mod suggestions to improve performance or just spice it up a bit. She never changed anything from factory. I've been playing around on smartmadness.com. So I'll take any suggestions I can get from the pros around here.
Feel free to give us a call at 562-981-6800. There are a number of things you can do to spice up the car and make it more fun to drive. We will be happy to share them with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now, I've never really been much of a "car" person before. All I know how to do is change a tire and check my oil. Is installing the intake something you'd recommend a shop taking care of?
I'm really impressed by all the Pete who do things themselves on here.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Wow, thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now, I've never really been much of a "car" person before. All I know how to do is change a tire and check my oil. Is installing the intake something you'd recommend a shop taking care of?
I'm really impressed by all the Pete who do things themselves on here.

It's not a tough job, but you will need some specialized tools. Everything on the smart is put together with either external or internal torx fasteners, so you will need a set of each wrench. There is one bolt that hold the stock intake on that is a PITA to get out next to the cylinder head. I finally just took a haxsaw to the ear that contained the offending bolt. But I also knew I was never going to pt the stock intake back on as well.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts