Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself torn between three color combinations. How do I decide??
I know I can later buy a set of panels, but that's a little expensive, plus I'd have to pay someone to do it.

With so many options available, how many times have you changed your mind on what you want? How did you decide on your final choice??

·
Registered
338 Posts
In our case, the "Boss" has the final decision since it will be her car. Orginally I would of liked blue but she wants black (go figure being in sunny Florida). I guess the other selling point too is that black is actually a molded in color since blue is painted on. I would think molded in colors might be easier to maintain such as rock chips, shopping cart dings, car door opening bumps etc.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh, my! Such angst! ;)

We've all gone through it, Gortok! Now it's your turn! I changed my mind three times, even e-mailing smartusa asking if I could change even after I'd confirmed my configuration. I ended up with a black/black/black passion coupe. I'm not going to second guess myself again.

Regardless of what color combination you choose, how can you go wrong? Me, I've never seen an ugly smartie. They ALL look terrific!

Have fun! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I decided to choose one of the colors which are molded in and not painted. If the painted panels chip I understand black will show through. I then chose yellow due to its visibility factor. I want to be sure people are able to see me especially after dark.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ok... so which colors are molded in and which are painted? I'm guessing the standard colors (white, black, and yellow) are the molded ones???

·
Registered
465 Posts
The metallic colors red, blue, silver are painted on black plastic panels.
The red didn't appear to be metallic when I saw it, unless the US version is different...which will cause all kinds of questions if it's true, "Is it a different red?" or "Will it clash with the red interior?".

I'm just trying to add to everyone's confusion on color choice. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. The red is the only color NOT on my list.
Sorry to those who like it. Just not my shade.
If it were a much darker shade, like the dark ruby panels on that special edition, I might consider them...
I still think smart is only putting out "bright" colors for the first couple of years to get people used to seeing them and to help show off the brand.
Once the excitement dies down a little, I suspect we'll see some darker shades, like the bay gray and steel gray.

I'm somewhat surprised that the stream green isn't offered...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah. The red is the only color NOT on my list.
Sorry to those who like it. Just not my shade.
If it were a much darker shade, like the dark ruby panels on that special edition, I might consider them...
I still think smart is only putting out "bright" colors for the first couple of years to get people used to seeing them and to help show off the brand.
Once the excitement dies down a little, I suspect we'll see some darker shades, like the bay gray and steel gray.

I'm somewhat surprised that the stream green isn't offered...
I'm with you, a good strong, true red would be great, and I obviously like that green. :cool: Those folks with those really late reservation dates may get the option for those colors. For the rest of us, a panel change might be in order at a later date - choose the color of your tridion with the future in mind.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Also, since these panels are so easily removed, a new custom paint is an exciting alternative and shouldn't be that expensive. :) Back to my fav. Dark green with Silver Trid.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Instead of paying a premium for a painted metallic color you really don't want, why not save the money and get standard black panels (just like smart starts with) and have them painted the way you do want. My dealer-to-be has their own body and paint shop within their group, and I'm sure that they could make it happen. Even the big black fuel filler cover.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's most likely what I'll end up doing...
Of course, by then, they'll be selling 452's ;)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Correct.

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Dang there I was looking forward to meeting you this month and then you pipe up with this BS... :mad:

Oh well, since I found this after the thrashing behind the wood pile that Army took, :( I guess you and I can chat about cars over a beer and I will see if you are a shallow callous Baxxxrd and rub my nose in it.... :rolleyes:

Some how I bet you are a stand up guy and will not gloat about the exceptionally well executed win... :eek:

For those that did not see the game, it was horrific for Army fans ... the Midshipmen handed Army a first class arse whooping 38 to 3

I was solidly in the Yellow/Black/Black camp... now I am considering Black/Black/Black and having my dealer paint the panels before delivery if they can and it is not a small fortune... crap back to researching how many panels, how many square feet, cost to repaint, and what wild loud color I really want... decisions decisions... darn and I will probably get my invite to configure real soon (this coming Friday I hope)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrdnc
Correct.

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!

Dang there I was looking forward to meeting you this month and then you pipe up with this BS... :mad:

Oh well, since I found this after the thrashing behind the wood pile that Army took, :( I guess you and I can chat about cars over a beer and I will see if you are a shallow callous Baxxxrd and rub my nose in it.... :rolleyes:

Some how I bet you are a stand up guy and will not gloat about the exceptionally well executed win... :eek:

For those that did not see the game, it was horrific for Army fans ... the Midshipmen handed Army a first class arse whooping 38 to 3

I was solidly in the Yellow/Black/Black camp... now I am considering Black/Black/Black and having my dealer paint the panels before delivery if they can and it is not a small fortune... crap back to researching how many panels, how many square feet, cost to repaint, and what wild loud color I really want... decisions decisions... darn and I will probably get my invite to configure real soon (this coming Friday I hope)
Gee, I thought I was just offering up a couple more color choices! See 'ya Saturday!

Dave

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Speaking of NAVY blue and ARMY green...I wonder, how long before Carabellos has the camo / real tree cut out skins for hunters to plaster on the Lil Bugger....

·
Registered
309 Posts
maybe some day, smart will offer a malibu red jewel tintcoat. ($105 less than smarts +$400, all silver, or red/silver, tridion+panel, hard to see metallic in metallic.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts