Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last November, 2018, I purchased a used 2016 Smart from Mercedes Benz of Sugarland, TX. At the time of purchase, I was given ONE key for this car, and our salesman stated that these cars ONLY come with one key. Never gave it a thought until I got home (250 miles away). After an inquiry at my local Mercedes Benz dealer, I was told that a new key would be in the range of $400, and that ALL Smarts come with two keys. At that point I wrote to Mr. David Cole, VP - Pre-Owned Sales, at the Mercedes Benz Sugarland location, asking him to consider providing me with the other key which should have come with the car. After no response in three weeks, I e-mailed the salesman who handled my deal to ask him to find out if my letter had been received. It is now APRIL 2019, and I have had NO RESPONSE whatever to my request. I am really very upset that my request was totally ignored by this dealer.
Yes, I know this was a deal on a used Smart, and not a 5 or 6 figure Mercedes, but I feel strongly that this issue should have at the very least brought about an acknowledgment of my request. Sorry, I won't ever be doing business with Mercedes Benz of Sugarland, TX again.

Now, does anyone know if there exists a place where I can obtain a duplicate key for my 2016 without paying the $400 at a Mercedes dealer?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have heard a lot of people say that their Smarts only came with one key. Seems a little odd. I paid $270 to get a new one cut and coded for the car just in case I loose one or lock the key in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I bought mine new and it came with two. Sad that you were lied to. Keys for Mercedes are very expensive, so I’m not surprised quite expensive for the smart. If you got a very good deal take comfort in that. I hope you are able to get a key....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I would go directly to the general manager of the business. After an unsuccessful attempt or two with underlings I go right to the top person and usually get a positive response. If no satisfaction then, write it off as a bad experience.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
OliverB and jwight both give advice in the order I would proceed.

The BBB complaint form is quite detailed, be prepared to take time on that. I’m afraid personally I’ve given up before completing it, in the long time past I must confess...

·
17,379 Posts
"These cars only come with one key" is a lie. So they either want to come up with that second key or set the record straight. It's one thing for a private seller to lie like that, but a MB dealer?

If you want closure soon, contact a lawyer. Some lawyers are willing to light a fire under a business for you for free. That's how I got MBFS to stop accusing me of abandoning my car, cancel their threats, and let me pay my note.

The BBB - a sometimes controversial resource for finding out how honest a business is - only really makes a difference if the business cares about their rating. Otherwise, they have no actual power to make a business do anything.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Last November, 2018, I purchased a used 2016 Smart from Mercedes Benz of Sugarland, TX. At the time of purchase, I was given ONE key for this car, and our salesman stated that these cars ONLY come with one key. Never gave it a thought until I got home (250 miles away). After an inquiry at my local Mercedes Benz dealer, I was told that a new key would be in the range of $400, and that ALL Smarts come with two keys. At that point I wrote to Mr. David Cole, VP - Pre-Owned Sales, at the Mercedes Benz Sugarland location, asking him to consider providing me with the other key which should have come with the car. After no response in three weeks, I e-mailed the salesman who handled my deal to ask him to find out if my letter had been received. It is now APRIL 2019, and I have had NO RESPONSE whatever to my request. I am really very upset that my request was totally ignored by this dealer.
Yes, I know this was a deal on a used Smart, and not a 5 or 6 figure Mercedes, but I feel strongly that this issue should have at the very least brought about an acknowledgment of my request. Sorry, I won't ever be doing business with Mercedes Benz of Sugarland, TX again.

Now, does anyone know if there exists a place where I can obtain a duplicate key for my 2016 without paying the $400 at a Mercedes dealer?
If this is a used car there isn’t much you can do. Used cars are often sold with whatever they offered to you at the time of sale.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
If it is any consolation, the first time I tried to get an extra key, I was quoted $600 from the dealer. That was back in 2009, I talked to a locksmith who told me he could probably 'clone' the key I have for much less, but he never had done it. $270 is not that bad of a deal considering what i was quoted. The wife lost a key and I kind of went off on her. She found it rather quickly when she found out what a key costs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
One of your local TV stations will have a consumer complaint investigator or hotline or something like that.

A call to them may help, since they will contact the dealership and the dealership does not want the adverse publicity.

Your key point is - the salesman lied to you about how many keys come with a smart car. NEW smart cars come with two (2) keys.

Since yours was used, they may use that as a comeback, your particular car only has one (1) key - but the salesman did lie as he indicated that ALL smart cars only come with one (1) key.

-Barry-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think perhaps a letter to the CEO of Mercedes Benz, with several cc's, might help also. Going to pursue this !!!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought mine new and it came with two. Sad that you were lied to. Keys for Mercedes are very expensive, so I’m not surprised quite expensive for the smart. If you got a very good deal take comfort in that. I hope you are able to get a key....

That's exactly right, new Smarts MUST have 2 @ delivery. From what I read, he bought his Smart as a two year old Smart from this dealership. He is not required to give two keys for a used Smart, if only one came in with the trade. Generally that one key what the next buyer would get...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
If the OP was given accurate information, it would be a point/condition on leveraging a lower price.

A simple “we only have one key and that’s included in the basis of our price”, would have made the fact that it came with one key a non-issue.

The fact that the purchaser did not get a response makes me lean more towards the purchaser paid a little too much for what (s)he got.

A response like “I’m afraid you already got a great deal on your smart so we will not provide you with another key” would be a good sign. Dealers tend to be on the higher side with regards to pricing...

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Used cars sometimes only come with one. The previous, might had lost the second one. My daughter bought a used Jeep. She only received one key. I sold a car not to long ago. Couldn’t find the 2nd key. A Year later found the key.

The used car you bought. It would have been best, before you left the dealership. You had it in writing, they provide you with a extra key.

·
Registered
204 Posts
MB dealers are required to give you TWO new keys on a new Smart. The is no policy when purchasing a pre-owned UNLESS it's Certified. If the car comes in on trade with one key, it can be delivered with one key... There is no MB policy on keys with any used car (again, unless it is a Certified Pre-Owned).

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Without a DUE BILL from the dealer, your used smart with only one key is what it is . . .

Often when car dealers promise something to a customer, they will usually use a Due Bill or a We Owe document to show what was promised. Such a Due or Owe document usually clearly states what is owed and is signed by a Manager of the dealership.

Absent such a document, you are about to become very frustrated with the "He said She said" dead end debate.

With today's computerized cars and electronic connectivity smart isn't the only marquee with EXPENSIVE key fobs - Buyer Beware . . .

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Yes, you guys are right. I’m afraid that me trying to argue morality is probably not going to cut it. The law does not align with morality in this case. He said she said is a good point too.

Hoping that that two year old smart was CPO and was just neglected to be mentioned...

In the end, I would not buy from the same salesman in the future. But that may be your only true recourse...

·
17,379 Posts
The OP wasn't told that the car is missing a key, the OP was told that it never existed in the first place, which is a lie and could have impacted the price OP was willing to pay for the car. I would at minimum want confirmation that the dealership doesn't have a second key from an employee firing on more cylinders than that salesman.

If you can get free help from a lawyer, take it. In my experience, businesses will stop playing around with you once a lawyer gets involved. It's sad it sometimes has to come to that, but it's literally the only reason I still have my 453. Outside of that, you may be out whatever the cost it is to get a new key. :(

ETA: I'm not suggesting to take it to court. There's a lot a lawyer can do without a court or judges.

·
Registered
204 Posts
'He said, she said' Never wins in a court case.

Unless the OP has a signed a 'We Owe' from the manager of the dealership, he is out of luck. That is the 1st thing the judge/attorney will ask for (a promise in writing, or even verbally). Without that (and we already know what the salesman said to the OP) and it wasn't those words. Instead of throwing your money at an attorney, I'd buy a bottle of fine Single Malt Scotch or great bottle of wine. He will have more fun with that, then going to court ;-)

Do I condone what he did, no I do not. Lying is never the answer. But, the car business is not the only business that has liars working for them. The consumer also needs to be aware & careful when making a purchase, especially such a large purchase. I'm out!

·
17,379 Posts
To clarify, I am not suggesting to sue or go to court. Either of which will cost more than a key is worth. I'm only suggesting to get a lawyer involved if possible.

MBFS tried to repossess my 453 based on a mistake on their end. I tried to work with MBFS but they stopped taking my calls and emails. They then also sent a PI to locate me. They made a bunch of false accusations and it immediately became a game of he said, she said where I was the loser. So I called up a lawyer. All they did was play some professional phone tag and before I knew it MBFS was wanting to forget this ever happened. No courts, no judges.

OP may not be successful, but it's worth a shot if they can find free legal help. And if successful, it's definitely better than buying another key. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts