Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received info from Mercedes that 453 DCT can be flat towed and how do do it. FINALLY ! ONLY the DCT can, and the MANUAL Transmission is NOT flat trow-able . I have towed our DCT 50 miles one way and then 50 miles back and 70 miles per hour with no issues after installing Blue OX tow bracket kit. For instructions for long distances (like behind a motor-home). Mercedes is updating the owners Manual or will be publishing these instructions . I have received instructions how to do it, and can say it works. Only issue I came across is getting the doors to lock before towing, because they will not lock with the key-fob outside of the car with the doors closed and a key in the ignition. Also you can NOT use the key in the door to LOCK the car, this is only to UNLOCK the vehicle. I recommend to check with the dealership to receive your own flat towing instructions . I dont know how post these here on the forum. Perhaps our friends at MB will post the instructions here ???
Here is a photo of our setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Received info from Mercedes that 453 DCT can be flat towed and how do do it. FINALLY ! ONLY the DCT can, and the MANUAL Transmission is NOT flat trow-able . I have towed our DCT 50 miles one way and then 50 miles back and 70 miles per hour with no issues after installing Blue OX tow bracket kit. For instructions for long distances (like behind a motor-home). Mercedes is updating the owners Manual or will be publishing these instructions . I have received instructions how to do it, and can say it works. Only issue I came across is getting the doors to lock before towing, because they will not lock with the key-fob outside of the car with the doors closed and a key in the ignition. Also you can NOT use the key in the door to LOCK the car, this is only to UNLOCK the vehicle. I recommend to check with the dealership to receive your own flat towing instructions . I dont know how post these here on the forum. Perhaps our friends at MB will post the instructions here ???
Correct! I'll be bringing the official instructions noted above shortly. Feel free to PM me in the meantime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Do you use a breaking system on your smart car ?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Because of the light weight - approx 2100 lbs - I don’t believe any state requires a braking system. I towed a Ford Festiva years ago behind a GMC motorhome. No issues whatsoever braking-wise and brakes on motor homes are much better now than they were. My neighbor tows a Fiat 500 behind his V10 Ford powered 33’ motorhome without any braking issues. Some may prefer a braking system just because but, in my personal opinion, it shouldn’t be necessary safety-wise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some states require braking regardless of weight. I use the ready brake system on my 2017 smart but I must admit I often don't hook up the cable unless I'm traveling through the mountains. The smart is so light I don't have any trouble and I don't really like the idea of wear on the brakes from towing. But maybe that's not a legitimate fear. I've not been pulled over so I don't know how much enforcement goes on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because of the light weight - approx 2100 lbs - I don’t believe any state requires a braking system. I towed a Ford Festiva years ago behind a GMC motorhome. No issues whatsoever braking-wise and brakes on motor homes are much better now than they were. My neighbor tows a Fiat 500 behind his V10 Ford powered 33’ motorhome without any braking issues. Some may prefer a braking system just because but, in my personal opinion, it shouldn’t be necessary safety-wise.
Hi
Thanks for your reply. How many times and approx for how many miles have you towed your Smart car so far and at what speeds do you travel? The reason I ask is that I am having my third DCT gearbox fitted tomorrow 😫 I can only think it is because in the UK, by law, we have to have working brakes on the vehicle being towed, if towing over 750kg. So the only thing I am doing different to you when towing my car is fitting the braking bar to the cars brake pedal. I presume if i omit the braking bar, and flat tow without it, this will solve my problems and I will be able to tow? Does this sound right to you? There is nothing else you do apart from putting it into 6th gear etc? and disconnecting the cars battery.
Many thanks, Tony

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi
Thanks for your reply. How many times and approx for how many miles have you towed your Smart car so far and at what speeds do you travel? The reason I ask is that I am having my third DCT gearbox fitted tomorrow 😫 I can only think it is because in the UK, by law, we have to have working brakes on the vehicle being towed, if towing over 750kg. So the only thing I am doing different to you when towing my car is fitting the braking bar to the cars brake pedal. I presume if i omit the braking bar, and flat tow without it, this will solve my problems and I will be able to tow? Does this sound right to you? There is nothing else you do apart from putting it into 6th gear etc? and disconnecting the cars battery.
Many thanks, Tony
i have not towed my 453. Was just responding to weight limit requirement in our area as I understood it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have not towed my 453. Was just responding to weight limit requirement in our area as I understood it.
Ok Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

Do you use a breaking system when you flat tow your DCT Smart car ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've towed my 453 DCT over 4,000 miles. I follow the flat tow instructions in the manual carefully. Put it in 6S, Turn off key but leave it in the ignition and disconnect the battery. I've never had an issue with the transmission. I use a cable braking system that connects to the brake pedal. When I first installed the braking cable I had take too much slack out of it and it cause the car to go into limp mode. Once I loosened the cable a bit everything works fine. No bungee cord on the steering wheel, the car tracks just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've towed my 453 DCT over 4,000 miles. I follow the flat tow instructions in the manual carefully. Put it in 6S, Turn off key but leave it in the ignition and disconnect the battery. I've never had an issue with the transmission. I use a cable braking system that connects to the brake pedal. When I first installed the braking cable I had take too much slack out of it and it cause the car to go into limp mode. Once I loosened the cable a bit everything works fine. No bungee cord on the steering wheel, the car tracks just fine.

Thanks for you info.

Could you email me a copy of your manual / instructions that you use to set your car up for flat towing just to see if the info i have is the same coz something is not working as it has smashed up two gearboxes. My braking system is a overrun system like a trailer when you apply the brake pedal in the motorhome the car comprises a piston in the A frame witch pulls a cable that is attached to the brake pedal. What braking system do you use on your rig as im thinking its my braking system that's smashing up the gearbox somehow.

My email [email protected]

Many Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
113 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts