Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure if i have a 9 or 10. there is a jack in the glove box that i plugged a cable into from my phone (playing pandora) but when i go to AUX it just says no cd or aux. so does this mean i have a 9 and it doesn't support an mp3 but the factory just puts the jack in for the heck of it?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
10 has the multiple cd changer. all smarts had the jack in the glove box if they had a smart radio, it may even had them if they didn't have a radio. My 2008 had the jack and they added a radio9

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but just because it is there doesn't mean it is hooked up right?

thats funny. they put jacks in cars that csan't use them and fog light wire harnesses and lord know whatever else, that's not the way americans build cars. that's money spent in each car reducing the profit buy putting stuff in that's not used. then it also cuts down on profits for the service department if someone wants to use the stuff that's already there instead of installing it

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Actually it's a service to the customer and cuts down on production variations. You should pull the radio and make sure the aux cable is plugged in. :)

PS - it's not an American car....which is why most of us bought them.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
thats funny. they put jacks in cars that csan't use them and fog light wire harnesses and lord know whatever else, that's not the way americans build cars. that's money spent in each car reducing the profit buy putting stuff in that's not used. then it also cuts down on profits for the service department if someone wants to use the stuff that's already there instead of installing it
Such an ignorant group of opinions.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The Radio 9 has RND on the left-hand side of the CD slot (stands for Random) and Eject on the right.

The Radio 10 has Load on the left and Eject on the right.

Per member rigacci back in 2009....

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,765 Posts

No, it is not "hooked up" but is available to be added to the SAM (a high tech fuse box complete with microprocessor and relays) to which (TAN) codes can be added to teach your smart new tricks by using a Star Diagnostic style computer.

Guess you should have purchased one of those 'mercan Fords built in Mexico? :shrug:

Standardization of the core components (ie, wiring harness) doesn't "cut down on profits" but rather improves the P&L especially when you reduce the number of specialty parts, streamline the supply chain and then compliment the assembly process with just in time component delivery.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
remember.....if ya can't say sumtin nice don't say nuttin at all
It's not a matter of saying something nice, it's a matter of folks on here being tired of 8 weeks of stupid questions... Then when they answer you(even though a simple search should have sufficed), it's either "that's not the way Americans build cars", or you start 14 other threads because you didn't get the answer you wanted...:bangwall:

If you wanted an American car, that's what you should have bought....:shrug:

Truth is, I think folks on here have been remarkably patient with you... But the patience is running out...

·
17,479 Posts
i'm not sure if i have a 9 or 10. there is a jack in the glove box that i plugged a cable into from my phone (playing pandora) but when i go to AUX it just says no cd or aux. so does this mean i have a 9 and it doesn't support an mp3 but the factory just puts the jack in for the heck of it?
The AUX jack is only meant as an audio feed. It basically works like a pair of headphones. It will not display phone information or anything. Plug your phone in and play music, if none comes out:

- Make sure your phone's volume is up. Some phones have dedicated volume for things plugged into their headphone jack.

- Make sure your radio volume is up.

- Make sure the AUX jack didn't break or get disconnected from behind.

(My career is being an IT Analyst :))

so 9s are black and 10s have silver accent?
Correct

Not true, they're all connected at the factory, all smarts have them. If it's disconnected, it's because the previous owner disconnected it, or it somehow fell off.

Also, pre-wiring cars and over-engineering like that is actually a better way to save development costs than how the American automakers used to do it.

Cars like the smart have a sort of standardized build. They build a base car that will have everything it will need for all trims and options. This makes having different options and trims easy as the mounting points, wiring, programming, etc already exist. Everything just bolts on and plug and play.

American cars used to be built to a hilarious cost cutting standard. Basically, instead of standardizing their builds or well thought out engineering, they'd just cut corners. They'll make cheap ignition switches, or eschew safety, maybe not rust protect them.
Or, they'll just badge engineer...the easy ways out.

Reactions: Niteshooter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts