Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone explain what this part is for and is it needed or just an add on accessory. Thanks
SHIFENG For Mercedes-benz Smart fortwo forfour 453 451 450 Auto Accessories Car Chassis Rear Pipeline Rubber Stopper Waterproof Cover Plug(Smart logo)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Type
De dion tubes
Into the Search Community barr
and you will find a plethora of postings pro an con about corrosion, capping or not.
Good Luck

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
I never capped my axle beam. Ditto for trapping in moisture premature rusting inside the tube.

·
Super Moderator
17,777 Posts
Here's a primer on how a DeDion suspension works:

The tubes in our cars have three holes, those two huge ones out back and a small one up front.

You can get caps and they're purely for decoration. I'd say make sure you drill a hole in them or get vented ones. You never want to even chance getting water stuck somewhere for too long.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You never want to even chance getting water stuck somewhere for too long.
That's good advice for anywhere on a car and a lot of the time you are fighting the manufacturer who puts those little water traps wherever they can in order to reduce the life expectancy of the car.

Battery box being a good example, rubber back carpets that cannot be removed without dismantling the inside of the car and the list goes on and on. To aid them in their task they also put little things that will allow water to get in once you have driven one through the fall (Autumn) and the leaves get stuck places.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can anyone explain what this part is for and is it needed or just an add on accessory. Thanks
SHIFENG For Mercedes-benz Smart fortwo forfour 453 451 450 Auto Accessories Car Chassis Rear Pipeline Rubber Stopper Waterproof Cover Plug(Smart logo)

View attachment 68798
View attachment 68794
I have a brand new pair of those plugs if you want to buy them for $12 (shipping included). I use them on my Smart since 2010.
Thanks, sykes05

1 - 20 of 22 Posts