Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when it was below zero, I got a CEL about a cyl 1 misfire. I figured since the plugs have been in there since around 30K miles, (now at 115K miles) it may be time for a new set. Ordered plugs from Amazon, and got the wrong set. Reordered and got a set of Denso iridium IXU22. Today I got a chance to pull a plug, it is NGK PLKR7A. Comparing the two plugs, the Denso is about 7 or 8 mm shorter than the plugs in the motor right now.

Plug I pulled is a nice brown with a 035 mm gap. doesn't really look like it needs replacement, so it will be going back in until I get the correct Denso (or replacement ) plugs.

It looks like I need the Denso Iridium IXU22HDR9 (??) or will the shorter IXU22 work??

The NGK's were special ordered thru O'Rieleys Auto Parts...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The other day when it was below zero, I got a CEL about a cyl 1 misfire. I figured since the plugs have been in there since around 30K miles, (now at 115K miles) it may be time for a new set. Ordered plugs from Amazon, and got the wrong set. Reordered and got a set of Denso iridium IXU22. Today I got a chance to pull a plug, it is NGK PLKR7A. Comparing the two plugs, the Denso is about 7 or 8 mm shorter than the plugs in the motor right now.

Plug I pulled is a nice brown with a 035 mm gap. doesn't really look like it needs replacement, so it will be going back in until I get the correct Denso (or replacement ) plugs.

It looks like I need the Denso Iridium IXU22HDR9 (??) or will the shorter IXU22 work??

The NGK's were special ordered thru O'Rieleys Auto Parts...
No Don't put in To-Short-A-Plug... IXU22 Wrong... Did you misprint that Standard plug number...?
The List: Best & Better (Iridium & Standard)
DENSO SPARK PLUGS

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the long life Denso plugs and that is the number that came up. I thought they looked short so I didn't put them in. I get awfuly tired of ordering by description and then getting the wrong parts. seems to happen way to much.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Amazon has a feature that lets you list your car's make and model so you should be alerted to a mismatch. Notice, I said "should". In my experience it isn't 100% correct but it's a step in the right direction.

Regards,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the second set I have ordered from Amazon and both sets said they fit a 2009 Smart fortwo Pure.. same as what they said for the brake light switch on my 1997 Land Rover Discovery, also the wrong part... but yet their software says it will fit. I have my cars listed and can pick which one I am buying for. I have had my Smart listed and it says the spark plugs also fit a Land Rover, they don't fit either one.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I would definitely not run the shorter plugs. As another option, I ordered NGK PLKR7A double platinum plugs from Amazon and they've been working fine for a year or so.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is the second set I have ordered from Amazon and both sets said they fit a 2009 Smart fortwo Pure.. same as what they said for the brake light switch on my 1997 Land Rover Discovery, also the wrong part... but yet their software says it will fit. I have my cars listed and can pick which one I am buying for. I have had my Smart listed and it says the spark plugs also fit a Land Rover, they don't fit either one.
I apologize for the threadjack. In my experience, reporting the discrepancy to Amazon has motivated them to offer more accurate solutions for my cars. YMMV

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
787 Posts
When I had my spark plugs replaced at 30k I ordered the Denso Iridium plugs from Smart Madness. At the time a 3-plug set was $34.99 USD.

I'm looking at the box for the plug as I type this. The SKU is: 0 42511 05353 3. I Googled it and found DENSO SPARK PLUGS A search of the Bar Code column for the SKU says it is the: IXUH22

IIRC, upon installation I had Kuni in Beaverton, OR re-gap them to .030

This is the same plug: Denso (5353) IXUH22 Iridium Spark Plug, (Pack of 1) : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: here's a twist. The box for the plug has "0.4mm IRIDIUM" printed 3 times - on opposing sides of the box.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plugs I got were SKU 42511 05308 and are marked Denso (5308) IXU22 and also say 0.04mm all over them. I think that is the size of the electrode.

The NGK plugs say they are Dual Platinum plugs and have worked well for around 70,000+ miles. When I pulled one, it was a good color and had a gap of about .035 I put it back in as the new plugs I got don't match the length. The only reason I was looking to change them was I got an error code twice about a miss on cyl 1. I reset it and it has not come back. It was quite cold out when I got the code so maybe it was just the cold weather(??) Car seemed to run fine even after I got the CEL.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the difference between the Denso IXU22 and the NGK PLKR7A plugs. the shorter one is the Denso plug.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is the difference between the Denso IXU22 and the NGK PLKR7A plugs. the shorter one is the Denso plug.

Would an IXUH22 be a better comparison with the NGK? This link says that the reach on the IXU22 is 19mm and the IXUH22 is 26.5mm

I have the IXUH22 installed. I'm looking at the XU22HDR9 that came out of the car (previously posted), but have nothing to compare it to. I don't know how well the supposedly 'Long Reach' IXUH22 compares to the NGK.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the IXU22 is the plug that Amazon says is supposed to fit in my car, but then they said that about the first set I got which weren't even close to the right ones. I agree the missing H probably makes all the difference. Just wanted to show what I found about the WRONG plugs and why I didn't use them.

On a humorous side note, the kid was driving home the other morning and said the car wouldn't go. Finally figured out he was on a patch of black ice and the traction control was kicking in. He had never seen the traction control light before.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The IXUH22 or 5353 is the correct Iridium spark plug. I have them in my car. I just looked up the number on both Amazon and RockAuto and both have the correct number listed.

·
Super Moderator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With a tropical heat wave raging outside, (25F) I got to put in the new plugs. went right in with no problems. Car runs fine, smooooth idle, now to take it for a drive. It is a nice snow outside with big flakes... Gotta love those Minnesota winters.

I was getting a P0301 code, but the center plug looked worse than the right one (3 2 1)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts