Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fallen for the styling of the car, and find that everyone who owns one is a chatty Cathy (much like myself). Test driving the convertible was fun, and I can see myself with this car. My only big questions are:

• How much is it to maintain?
  • Is it durable?
I currently own a 2011 Scion tC, and it is not a good fit at all. Love the power, handling, and features, but the gas mileage for what I do (delivering pizzas) is AWFUL (23.9).

Here's hoping that y'all will be able to assist me in my quest to negotiating costs on the Smart, as I really want it.

Thanks for your help~ myt3cyl

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
It's all subjective.

For me, a 4y/20K service (incl. wheel align.) at ±$580 is expensive, but I hope that a well maintained car will be trouble-free for 8-10 years/60K...

At least your dealership's only 2 miles away! Very few can say that nowadays...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive about 25,000 a year. The maintenance costs may outweigh the savings in fuel, insurance ($208/ every six months), and low cost tires (about half the price of my Scion). As per Edmund's cost to own calculator, it is on par once maintenance and depreciation are figured in. Now it will just be a matter of options and financing, as I want it regardless of the costly shop visits.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I purchased Max, my 08 Carbio in March of 08 (ordered on the web and waited). He now has about 45k on him including driving him from our old home in Maine to the new one in FL hauling a trailer with two kayaks and two bikes. He has been to a dealer twice in his life here. Once on delivery and once to take care of the early car Reverse problem within his fist year. That is it! All service has been done at a local garage to date (buy parts online and take with me). Knock on wood:D Max has been one of the MOST reliable auto's I have ever owned. Good luck with your decision which ever way it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you :). Here's hoping Max serves you well for a long time to come. Good to know I'm not alone in naming my cars, currently driving Rex (tc, t-Rex lol).

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Thank you :).. Good to know I'm not alone in naming my cars, currently driving Rex (tc, t-Rex lol).
Ah, have names for all my autos past and present including my motorhome. They're like part of the family. Max (short for Maxwell Smart), Gurgie my Audi TT Carbio, Adder a saab conv and Livingston our Rialta motorhome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My partner and I were laughing about that, especially since the store had to get a different type of sign to accommodate Rex (glass roofed Scion)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts