Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this idea! What are the risks in buying these earlier models from someplace like eBay? I really like this body style much better than the upcoming fortwo in the U.S. though I do have a reservation for one.

My local Mercedes dealer did confirm to me that if I purchased an earlier model that they could service it.

Thanks for any tips and advice you can offer.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
It's an option - at least you'd have a car sooner. But not all the updated features and equipment.

I'd be very skeptical of a stateside M-B dealer who says they can service a smart car. Just ask to see the factory training certificates for their mechanics!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an option - at least you'd have a car sooner. But not all the updated features and equipment.

I'd be very skeptical of a stateside M-B dealer who says they can service a smart car. Just ask to see the factory training certificates for their mechanics!
If one buys one of these smarts from eBay where do you get them serviced?

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
That is the big question for me; you might try asking over on the 450 portion of the forum. Those guys have the cars and all the insight on owning one. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
My $.02 worth

JetJazz

First off I am a gray owner (if you search this forum for ASmartMan and AFineMan you will see how I got to where I am today), here is the trip I made to buying a Gary market model.

I searched for an electric car for my commute (19.2 miles in each direction), I quickly came to realize that unless I spent $100K+ I would not be able to rely on what was available (I live in New England SSOO cold winter mornings/nights).

I came across the Smart Car, and I put down my $99 to reserve one. With in days the reservation count went from 13K to 20+K (I figured I would have to wait till late 2008 or till 2009 to get a car) so I cancelled the reservation.

I kept researching the Zap cars, THEN I found a ZAP/Smart Car dealer 30 miles from my home.

Well in less than an hour of finding this dealer I was there. they had 2 new G&K Smarts on the lot, BUT was I NOT willing to spend $29,999, I did take a test drive. The sales man told me about 2 used Smarts they were getting back (long story) that he could deal (Price wise) on.

JetJazz I too have the same questions U have, where I own a Gray Smart, I too could be stranded (service wise), I know Mcfarland Ford will service this car (I've used them already) as well as have basic parts in stock (I bought 2 oil filters and 1 air filter while waiting).

I can't speak about the reliability of this car (too soon to tell), BUT if you read the EU threads the GEN 2 (2003-2006) seem to to be quite reliable.

Dude, it is a tough choice, no one can chose for U. I justified (in my mind) my Smart by knowing that I got a known car (G2) and I have the skills needed to do some service (if needed), BUT also knowing there is NO support (limited) for this car here. I am getting (43-48 MPG) good mileage, where I only work 4 days a week it is only costing me $11 per week to commute.

Be fore warned if you do this, the attention you will get could be stressing, Cops pulling you over to ask questions, SUVs booting it (so you can't pass them), Beeps, Thumbs UP, and the endless questions ("is that electric") at the gas stations.

I know this didn't help :D

ASM

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Ofcourse it's your choice and I don't think either way is disaster.
I bought a 450 and am so pleased, sometimes I feel guilty.

If I had all my 'Druthers' I would like to build my 452 (452?) by picking and choosing from the 450 & 451.

I like the Mercedes engine with turbo
6 speed transmission
Lower engine RPM for highway speeds
Shift pattern
Shorter overall length
Gas mileage
Larger air intake
Rear quarter windows

The above items are important, high enough that I would buy a 450 again.
BTW: my 4year bumper to bumper warranty cost less than $1000.

I really want everyone to be pleased with their own choice. I respect and support all.

The fit and finish is great.

Anyone may PM me, I'll provide my phone # . I will share and chat.

Cheers
Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi.
I just arrived at this forum and I'm a 450 owner from 2000 year.
I only can say goodies from this car, like 24-42 says.
The turbo charged 0.7 is a jewel, and at this moment I still like the first generation than the second.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi , jerry

i prefer the earlier style smart,
they have taken the unique style
out with the new one, made it look
more like a ordinary car.

example:- rear corner windows
dashboard

Tony [ oldgit61 ]

·