Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a smart car, but while I hear so much about fuel economy, many people tell me that it is too dangerous on highways. I've seen the crash test video, etc., and I know that it meets the US safety standard, but I'm still a bit concerned.

If I do get a smart car, I will be driving on highways every day. Honestly, should I buy a smart car?

Thanks.

Atsushi

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My wife and I have driven our smartie up and down the NJ-Tpk, I-295, I-95 and the PA-Tpk without encountering any problems. We've been behind big-rigs, between big-rigs and passed by big rigs, while travelling at speeds up to 85mph and have had no control or stability problems. We feel as safe in it as we do in either the minivan or the Jag. The Smart is a great car and we have no regret that we bought one!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Highway accidents are fairly rare, but consider this. Would it matter what car you are driving if a big rig hits you? Aslo this car has a roll cage to add for more safety in case you end up getting into a big accident. I would suggest taking it out on the freeway before you buy just so there are no surprises.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I would say that the people who tell you how dangerous the Smart Car (smart fortwo) is have no idea what they are talking about. If we look at the IIHS data, the smart gets high marks:

IIHS-HLDI: Smart Fortwo

If we look at real world data in terms of number of cars in the USA vs. number of people killed, I find that the smart is far better than the average car. So far only 2 people have died in accidents, but the average car would have resulted in 4 or 5 deaths.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/my-anaylsis-smart-car-protection-25404/

The stories told by smart owners really explain why the smart fortwo is a safe car:

safeandsmart.com: real stories from real owners

Next time someone tells you, "that the smart is too dangerous on highways", ask the to provide proof or a source for their conclusion. So far, no one has been able to provide me with anything reasonable to back up their faulty conclusion.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I drive mine on the freeway every day, no issues.

As far as safety, in additon to the testing mentioned above, the IIHS recently conducted the new roof crush testing, and the smart performed better that a Chevy Suburban. I definitely feel safer in my smart than any other vehicle I could own.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Visit www.safeandsmart.com
Make sure you look over owners stories. You will be impressed.

Also see
IIHS-HLDI: Smart Fortwo
The insurance institute for highway safety has tried to find every way to prove the smart is unsafe. All they have been able to do is show how safe it is when compared to other larger vehicles because it has no other vehicles in its class.

The Best rating they give is Good, but in the roof crush test a vehicle needed to have a Strength-to-weight ratio of 3 to get the good rating. The smarts Strength-to-weight ratio is 5.41 . Compare that to any other vehicle you are considering. You will be impressed.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I have not driven mine on the NJ Turnpike but I have driven it on Route 1, Route 130 and I95. I did not have a problem. I was able to keep up with trafic without a problem (some times passing them. :) ). :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
. . . many people tell me that it is too dangerous on highways. I've seen the crash test video, etc., and I know that it meets the US safety standard, but I'm still a bit concerned.
Are these people 'experts' on smart car models and their crash statistics, or are they saying what they 'think?' Unless they'e experts, I'd ignore them as being uninformed with regards to the safety measures that are incorporated in the smart vehicles.
Check the links mentioned above and make your own decisions regarding their safety . . . open YOUR mind. . . as the saying goes. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Unless those people that are telling you it is so unsafe are engineers that design cars and also have proof it is unsafe they know nothing.

Next thing they'll tell you that they got an email with a smashed smart. Not true. Just ask about the lug nuts -- the smart has 3.

While I can't tell you about how it would ride in Jersey, I do have 58,000 miles between my two smarts that I personally put all those miles on. Still happy with them. Take that FWIW. Just make sure it fits your needs. If you need to carry more than grocery cart worth of things and one passenger at the same time it may not be the car for you. They work out nice for us - always 2 people in the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Truth is Truth

Knowing the truth about the smart car gives me utmost confidence to take on the "Semis" with my smart.
Now, if I had to drive down the highway in an Aveo, or any Kia, etc . . . now that would scare the pants off of me. :eek:

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
..yes they do move on windy days...or behind an 18 wheeler...but...these are small issues that have been addressed by wider tires for windy days or step on the gas and leave the 18 wheeler behind in your wake and watch them wiggle....lol...

jetfuel...feeling safe in our smarts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have not driven mine on the NJ Turnpike but I have driven it on Route 1, Route 130 and I95. I did not have a problem. I was able to keep up with trafic without a problem (some times passing them. :) ). :)
BWG: Interstates, Parkways' freeways.... what's a Turnpike? I'm Canadian and all we have is Highways...:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
...and rememmber, since the smart fortwo is half as big as other vehicles, it has half the chance of even getting into an accident inthe first place!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
...and remember, since the smart fortwo is half as big as other vehicles, it has half the chance of even getting into an accident in the first place!
+1

And twice as easy to change lanes and merge. :D

Suze - on the "freeway" everyday

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
...and rememmber, since the smart fortwo is half as big as other vehicles, it has half the chance of even getting into an accident inthe first place!
And that's a crucial factor. My smart is more maneuverable than my Explorer. The Explorer, you hit the brake and most of the first second is just transmitting enough power to the brake pads to make a difference. In the smart, a quick blip of the brake will grab the wheel fast - in fact, it's programmed to boost like that. This car is smaller, lighter, more easily turned, and has a lot of safety systems to keep the driver in control.

There are fewer fatal accidents because there are fewer accidents. The few accidents that happen are helped by the pretensioning, force-limiting seat belts, collapsible steering wheel, air bags, and NASCAR-style roll cage which is proven to withstand almost 6x the car's weight in a rollover. We had a forum member here get pushed into a guard rail at highway speed (60-70) and he walked away from the wreck, took pictures and posted them. I forget who that was, but it really boosted my confidence.

·
Registered
883 Posts
A turnpike is a toll road. The New Jersey Turnpike has a lot of tolls on it that take their tolls on the drivers. :rolleyes:
If the Smart is only half as big as other cars they should only pay half as much toll :p
Thanx BWG, now I remember, they don't take Canadian quarters...but that's another story :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts