Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MPG

I have a passion coupe. I put 319.4 miles on it and pumped in 7.469 gallons and got a return of 42.76 miles per gallon. I got some 93 octane fuel today at the racetrac gas station on Tamiami Trail in Nokomis,FL for $3.199 per gallon. I'll keep you posted with the results. "Loving it!!!!"

·
Registered
115 Posts
44.8 MPG

281.5 mi. / 6.280 gal.
$3.49/gal.(AM/PM Valley View&Alondra,La Mirada)

Combined L.A. freeways and surface streets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
automatic....the only time I use the manual mode is in crawling traffic (under 5mph). I keep it in 1st to keep it from upshifting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MPG

L.A. driver here. WOW! I can't believe all these reports of 40+

I must be doing something wrong. 31 MPG.

Need to put it in D and stop the paddle shifting I guess.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
So I thought it was going to be in Montana, open road, non-stop, 55 mph, with a tailwind, following a semi.

Wow.:)

For real? :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I'd like to know what brands of gasoline DO NOT have 10% ethanol added.
If Mobil is one that doesn't,(which I have never bought because their price is always something higher than everyone else) I suspect THAT might be why their price is alittle higher....no added ethanol.
I think knowing this is critical to getting some consistent numbers on gas mileage as FredVon aluded to in another thread about mileage numbers. He's right, too, as the gasoline type may or may not include ethanol.
Another thought that crossed my mind was that the EPA may have lowered ALL gas mileage numbers for all cars by default, knowing that a Fed mandate to all states to use 10% ethanol in their fuels would have that effect on gas mileage due to ethanol's lower heat value and dilution effect on the refined gasoline fuel, lowering it's heat value with subsequent poorer gas mileage being the result.
Inquiring minds want to know.....:D

John

·
0 Posts
Are people getting that kind of MPG by driving with the speed of traffic or are these figures for someone who gets onto I-95 at 40-50mph and drives the posted 55mph speed limit at the risk of being rear ended by everyone who is driving the average 65+MPH. Personally, I don't plan on pissing off truck drivers in a car that likely is already asking for size aggression from larger trucks and besides the Mack trucks can only use the right two lanes on the Interstate and nothing pisses them off more than cars driving slow. Time is money for them. And personally, I like to drive the speed that is just slow enough not to get a speeding ticket, i.e. keeping up speed with the traffic.

The other question I have is city driving. Stop and go is a big difference between highway driving. Here it can take 10-15 minutes to drive one mile sometimes 20...every single light will stop you (thanks to the traffic lights being calculated just so) and a hybrid would just turn the engine off during this but not a regular gas car which gets killed in mpg. MPG is relative to the driving and the driving conditions.

Personally, a friend of mine has a car that has a mpg gauge and you really have to drive ridiculously slow like you have a corn cob you know where in order to get gas mileage. Personally, I want a turbo version of the Smart and something that gets 45mpg at normal driving (normal being staying with the flow of traffic and not disrupting it by being that person who refuses to drive over speed limit even if it is more dangerous, i.e. interstates with super low speed limits compared to what everyone (minus some Prius owners) drives.

So the purpose of my post is to ask what kind of MPG are you getting if you drive like everyone else in the Middle Atlantic/Northeast urban/suburban areas? If I got 45mpg here then I think I could get 100mpg elsewhere. ;)

·
0 Posts
L.A. driver here. WOW! I can't believe all these reports of 40+

I must be doing something wrong. 31 MPG.

Need to put it in D and stop the paddle shifting I guess.

Any other suggestions?

Mike
I don't think you are doing anything wrong...to me, and I'm not judging people's driving as I know people hate that...but seriously I do hate people who drive far slower than necessary who seem to be letting the car drive them rather the other way around, so...to me, I personally think I'd get MUCH MUCH better gas mileage with a Smart car with more horsepower because anytime I buy an underpowered car I end up getting horrible gas mileage as I have a driving style that can be called aggressive at times yet mostly just keeping up with the medium speed of traffic. I don't have any tickets on my record...I'm savvy enough to know where I can get away with speed and where I should be driving not so fast (thanks to my youth and lessons learned with tickets from years ago)...so yeh, Smart put a Turbo engine in these things, even if the EPA drops the numbers of gas mileage I suspect I'll get better gas mileage with a faster Smart than I will with this 0-60 in 13 seconds car.

My driving style is as follows:

City driving, I tend to drive 5-9 mph over the speed limit...you have to factor in getting around hesitant drivers, stop lights and right and left lane turn drivers ahead of you, etc.

Highway driving, I get on the Interstate at the speed of oncoming traffic +5mph...it's easier to brake getting onto a highway than it is to accelerate (especially with a Smart)...hopefully the Smart can actually do this with it's slow 0-60...I suspect I will be burning major fuel just getting on the highway at a decent speed. Then I drive with the speed of traffic which is generally between 65-75, never in the right lane because while most people go 65 in that lane there is always the idiot driving 50-55 every third mile.

·
0 Posts
If I can get a Smart car without the dealer third party $100 deductible warranty add-on, then I may end up doing modifications to the engine after I put on 24k miles in a year or so....which at the current rate of orphans/reservation holders getting their cars that'll likely be in the year 2011 when the Volt/Prius/IQ, etc is out and the idea of 31mpg at $4-5-6 gas prices might seem not so Smart.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts