Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Cool! I need to spend more time reading this but how can they have a class average when there is nothing else in their class? :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Whether it be Consumer Digest, Consumer Guide, Consumer Reports, etc. I have NEVER had fun nor purchased any car that they rated highly. <yawn>

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thier ratings of cars can really be hit or miss. Yes Hondas & Toyotas are always best buys, however some really good cars can be passed over w/o proper research. We owned a '03 VW Turbo Beetle for 4 years and put over 90K miles on it. When we bought the car new, it had recived terrible reviews by Consumer Guide. We had no problems with the car and my wife really loved it. Additionaly, several years ago there was quite a controversy about the low rating that the new Porsche Boxster had recieved. When Porsche & Porsche Club members pushed for an answer they found out that the number one consumer problem with the car was the size of the cup holder...lol. These ratings & guides are simply tools that should not replace test drives and other forms of consumer research.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Looks like they put in the subcompact class because the don't have a microcar class. Liked the "low buck" comment, the engine "groans" during acceleration and lack of cargo space (6 grocery bags). I'm not sure they even understand the mission and design goals of the car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The smart is an emotional purchase and consumer guides rate cars on rational bases- not even speaking the same language.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The smart is an emotional purchase and consumer guides rate cars on rational bases- not even speaking the same language.
I agree. I was torn between the Honda Fit and Smart. I drove the Fit twice and failed to find it "fun." Sure, much more practical, but if you can afford a few giggles in life, I say go for them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sharonlee, sounds like you've made up your mind in favor of our little smarties! Good for you!! :D

Consumer mags like these should stick to testing toasters.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
yeah, No kidding, Jwight. I liked Smartboy's summation alot better even though his findings may be alittle bit biased as would mine if I were he. His correlations to the improvements over the 450 I think were well noted.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Did CR drive the Canadian Smart or the North American Smart?:confused:
And now the confusion begins.... the original post here was for Consumers GUIDE not Consumer REPORTS. CR hated the Canadian version over a year ago. CG I think drove the US version.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Latest from Consumer Reports

Did CR drive the Canadian Smart or the North American Smart?:confused:
Here is Consumer Reports' latest pronouncement (from the LA Auto Show), based on the NA-spec smart, not the old Canadian diesel version:

What’s new and notable? All Smart cars in the U.S. will benefit from standard stability control and a roadside service network, two surprising features to find in such an inexpensive car. Still, the impressive Honda Fit retails for not much more than a nicely equipped Fortwo and is much more spacious and practical as a daily driver, but it gets 31 mpg overall with the automatic.
Full article

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
A couple of more "interesting" slams from CR:

consumerreports.org said:
Although it doesn’t look it, it’s been redesigned and this time it also meets all U.S. safety and emissions standards...

...We tested the 2006 model which we bought in Canada, and other than being a conversation piece and an urban fashion accessory, it proved to be a miserable car.
Since CR couldn't notice the numerous differences between the 2006 and 2008 I would rather doubt their other opinions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
A couple of more "interesting" slams from CR:

Since CR couldn't notice the numerous differences between the 2006 and 2008 I would rather doubt their other opinions.
They are great if you want the same people who review your toaster to review your car. Personally I don't have a lot of faith in them either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sharonlee, sounds like you've made up your mind in favor of our little smarties! Good for you!! :D

Consumer mags like these should stick to testing toasters.
Yup...I'm sold...a lot of the reviews on the American version have been pretty good. Almost every other car on the road is just a car..is a car...is a car. The few that aren't cost a couple of arms and a leg. For my needs the Smart is just perfect.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I really think some mags are in bed with the big three motor companies just like lobbyist are in bed with a lot of big firms. If you spend enough money, you can quash just about anything. But the one thing they can't quash is the appeal of this car. It makes more people smile regardless of the bad press or ok reviews that come out. I'm very happy it's also a good reflection of a great eco-decision. Here's to smart! Thanks, Regina

1 - 16 of 16 Posts