Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consumer reports ...450 vs 451

I read the same article and was concerned also. Is there that big a difference between the 450 and 451???? The 450 sounds like a lemon???

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
cr is about as useful in these days as tits on a bull...who cares what they say
The CR reports on vehicles are pretty useless unless you happen to be a soccer mom with a gaggle of kids and acute angst about the dangers of everyday life.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG! Thats my sister! And my wife is turning into that. SO what do YOU use to tell what is good to buy? And unless CR has video of them just catching fire for no reason, then I dont care what they say about the SMART, Im getting one.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Prices.....US
Engine..... Diesel
Some specs.....450-451
Car in 'Summary'..... Canadian
No tire pressure monitor ?
Steering .....Vague ? not true for 450 or 451
No seatbelt pretensioner for the rear.......DUH
No side airbags for the rear................... "

The results are 'Cherry-picked' from CA, US,Gas, Diesel and LOGIC

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
570 Posts
Until CR stops taking kickbacks from Japanese automakers to make their products the only thing worthy on the road (to them) then I will consider it. But their bias is beyond rediculous and completley obvious. Its unfortunate that people actually trust them, my friends father swears by them and has made some pretty bad choices when buying a car.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To be fair, Consumer Reports has some very decent articles. If they screw-up, they’ll appologize (ie: child safety seats). If they feel they’re right and have the facts to prove their findings, they’ll stand behind it (ie: Suzuki Samurai roll-over tests).

I’ve subscribed to them many years ago and have valued their non-bias opinions. I especially respected what they said about the U.S. automakers back in the late 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s in regard to quality comparisons to Asia and Europe. It was a bitter pill, but a fair assesment. Lately they’ve dinked Toyota’s quality standing due to a drop in Toyota’s quality control.

They are my first resource when I look up what people have voted on any problems with their automobiles. The thoroughness of questions asked by Consumers Reports on products when they send questionairs out to their members is staggering. They are also supported just by membership, not sponsors so it’s about as close to being non-bias as you’ll get.

When they test a 2008 smart fortwo, it will be compaired to its competition and I can guarantee the transmission will be targeted. Consumer’s Report looks through the eyes of “bang-for-the-buck”. Can you get more car for less? If you want better gas mileage, they’ll recommend a Toyota Prius. I don’t expect CR’s evaluation on the smart to be all bad- but it will be non-bias.

I look at CR as being “middle-of-the-road”. They’re not Road & Track, Car and Driver, or Motor Trend, but a People’s Magazine… the Consumers who want fair, non-bias opinions on the product they purchase. What they won’t have is personal preference and that’s why I’m purchasing a smart. There’s a fun factor to owning a car like a fortwo cabrio and a Vulcan or Mr. Spock, CR’s doesn’t add that into their equasion.
My two-cents worth. ;)

-Tom L.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Consumers Report is great if you need a toaster.

Regarding the Suzuki Samurai:

"........CU's 1996 statement that the 1988 Samurai "easily rolls over in turns" was limited to the severe turns in CU's short course avoidance maneuver. CU's use of the adverb "easily" may have been misconstrued and misunderstood. CU never intended to state or imply that the Samurai easily rolls over in routine driving conditions. Subsequent to 1988, several other SUVs have tipped up either in CU's tests or in U.S. government tests......."

Case dismissed. Samurai pulled from the market due to low sales.:mad:

I have 3 and haven't rolled over yet.

If you read and believe CR thay would like you to drive Vanilla Japanese cars which perform like the above mentioned toasters.
German mfrs. along w/ Mercedes these days is almost always on their Non-recommended list. Due mostly to electrical sniggles.

My personal experience is that MB/VW/BMW make wonderful cars that actually drive and handle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Consumers Report is great if you need a toaster.

Regarding the Suzuki Samurai:

"........CU's 1996 statement that the 1988 Samurai "easily rolls over in turns" was limited to the severe turns in CU's short course avoidance maneuver. CU's use of the adverb "easily" may have been misconstrued and misunderstood. CU never intended to state or imply that the Samurai easily rolls over in routine driving conditions. Subsequent to 1988, several other SUVs have tipped up either in CU's tests or in U.S. government tests......."

Case dismissed. Samurai pulled from the market due to low sales.:mad:

I have 3 and haven't rolled over yet.

If you read and believe CR thay would like you to drive Vanilla Japanese cars which perform like the above mentioned toasters.
German mfrs. along w/ Mercedes these days is almost always on their Non-recommended list. Due mostly to electrical sniggles.

My personal experience is that MB/VW/BMW make wonderful cars that actually drive and handle.
Suzuki tried to sue CR and failed.
What’s a “Vanilla” Japanese car? Consumers Reports (or Consumers Union), doesn’t single out any specific automobile manufacture. The ratings they give on reliability is based solely on it’s owners, whether they’re Japanese, U.S., German, French, British, etc.
If you find a sour reliability rating-, blame the vehicle’s owners.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Based upon my experience and that of my friends, any criticism of Benz for electrical problems is well warranted. They went through a really bad time in the early years of this century regarding quality control and the complexity of the cars exceeded their ability to assemble them. They seem to have gotten scared and put the effort into a solution, now it is Toyota's turn to pay for complacency.

As far as Consumers Reports being paid by the Japanese to bad-mouth the fantastic design, innovative styling and superior build quality of '70's and '80's Detroit cars, what have you been smoking? The output of the big 3 in those days were the most poorly engineered and horribly assembled vehicles this side of a New Delhi taxi, They were only telling it as it was.

·
Agent 86
99 Posts
Just about every CR review of anything I've actually had first hand experience with (cameras, car, computers), I've disagreed with.

lhoboy nailed it. Soccer moms and angst. I'm going to steal that one.

bucketboss: The best thing about the CR Samurai issue whas I got buy one for a song in the fall of 1988, due to CR's "review".

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
CR used by many.

The report posted is as old as the hills and was done on a Canadian 450.

Consumer Reports is used by a great many people who are not car nuts to help them choose safe reliable cars. Many professional women choose their cars solely on what CR says.

You may rant about CR, but the fact remains, Smart stands to gain or lose big time, based on their upcoming test reports.

Hope they can live with the trans. :p

A2Jack.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Vanilla Cars

Vanilla Toast Car. All look the same. Perform like an appliance.

I had a rant but hit delete for better judgement.:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
My Mom needed an appliance-like car, so do a lot of others out there, nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is an enthusiast, nor do they all read Road&Track or Motor Trend, but they still need good advice, CR gives them info they can use. It doesn't give me info I can use so I buy Car or Evo or even Road & Track since not everyone needs an appliance all the time.

Actually I would love my cars to be as reliable as my fridge or toaster, the fridge has run non-stop for at least 10 years with no service at all. I wish they made a car that reliable!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts