Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to contact SmartCar of America Corporate Offices, but can find no "contact us" with e-mail or phone contact. Does anyone know how to get through???

As the proud owner of a blue Passion since 2/4/08, I would like to share with other owners the secret to dealing with their Smartie's hunger for Premium gas! I've been using Regular for 10 fill-ups now & it's happy as a clam! No pinging - great performance - clean bill of health at 9000 mile check-up! :D

:yelclap:

For more info, contact me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would like to contact SmartCar of America Corporate Offices, but can find no "contact us" with e-mail or phone contact. Does anyone know how to get through???

As the proud owner of a blue Passion since 2/4/08, I would like to share with other owners the secret to dealing with their Smartie's hunger for Premium gas! I've been using Regular for 10 fill-ups now & it's happy as a clam! No pinging - great performance - clean bill of health at 9000 mile check-up! :D

What type of MPG are you getting?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
1-800-smartUSA

smart car of america is this forum.
it is not affiliated with SmartUSA - the distributor for smarts in north america.

if you choose to ignore the recommendations in the owner's manual, that's your perogative. it's been discussed that you won't get pinging with lower-octane gas unless the knock sensors and other electronics fail to perform as designed. the engine will automatically lower performance to adjust to a lower octane gas. this may not be easily noticeable depending on your driving style.

evidence of adjusted performance has largely been anecdotal at this stage.

however, dave shembri recently restated his position on premium fuel on his blog at smartusainsider.com - paraphrasing him he's stated that the car is designed to run on premium 91 octane, running on lower octane for short times shouldn't damage anything, but premium is the recommended fuel. which is why the manual says premium and which is why the gas lid sticker says premium.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is what I've read before. The lower the octane, the lower the temperature at which the gasoline explodes in the cylinders. And in certain "high compression" engines, lower octane gasoline explodes too early. Those early explosions are known as "pinging" and they eventually cause engine damage. Premium gas, whatever is specified in your owner's manual, explodes when it's supposed to in your engine, and that's why the manufacturer of your car requires it. You should always follow the manufacturer's recommendation when it comes to octane. Using a lower octane can harm the engine over time, and using a higher than called for octane is a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
624 Posts
For the $1.60 a tank....I'll stick with the prem. Euro fuel is higher octain so it makes sense....and at less than $2...worth it IMHO ONLY!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The mapping will most likely draw back the timing to run the lower octane.
It should run as before except of course for less power and economy.
FJ Cruiser guys have been battling this for years now.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Kate:

Good for you. You're not the only one to make such a proclamation. Guess you don't mind doing a bit of self warranty. It's only a 2 year 24000 warranty anyway.

As others have stated:
Owners manual recommends premium. {At least 91 octane.}
Gas cap has the same recommendation.
Dave Schembri posted on his blog just this week about using 91 octane.
Most dealerships will even remind those that purchase to use premium.

I look at it this way ....
Less than $2 more per fill-up vs. the cost of a new engine and other possible failures. So maybe if it happened during warranty they couldn't prove I was not using premium and they'd fix it anyway. But after 2/24 it would be my dime anyway. {W/o extended warranty.} And while this is not the first time it's been brought up here it is also probably not the last.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah! You tell them! I mean, just What would those silly engineers know? I mean, they just have access to all of the design information on the engine, the long-term test data and the results of the long-term use of lower-octane fuel.

I look forward to hanging around the boards when the heads start eroding and reading the posts about those horrible, unreliable Mitsubishi engines that just don't "last" and "we have been ripped off" and "sign here to join the class-action suit."

All because y'all are going to "save" 20 cents a gallon.

Sometimes, no offense, but cheap is not the way to go. The car is not very expensive in the first place. Despite the complaints I read - and it is always pretty funny to read them from people who were posting regularly before they got their cars how the smart was the greatest thing since sliced bread and now they are oh so disappointed - for what you pay for them, I don't know how much more cost-effective the vehicle could be.

I am sure somewhere someone is trying to figure out a way to run the things on Mad Dog 20-20 or something, but God Bless this wonderful, Obsessive/Compulsive group here who have spent their time waiting for their cars building expectations beyond any reasonable limit and then the time after receiving same complaining about everything from the size of the key fob to trying to claim that they know more than the engineers that designed the darned things.

So, go on ahead and ignore the manual. Carry that over to other aspects of your life. You don't need an annual physical. Don't watch the sodium. You feel ok, right? Go ahead, plug in a few extra extension cords. Just what do those silly engineers know? You know it can handle it no problems!

I am entitled to do what I want, when I want, as long as it makes me happy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah! You tell them! I mean, just What would those silly engineers know? I mean, they just have access to all of the design information on the engine, the long-term test data and the results of the long-term use of lower-octane fuel.

I look forward to hanging around the boards when the heads start eroding and reading the posts about those horrible, unreliable Mitsubishi engines that just don't "last" and "we have been ripped off" and "sign here to join the class-action suit."

All because y'all are going to "save" 20 cents a gallon.

Sometimes, no offense, but cheap is not the way to go. The car is not very expensive in the first place. Despite the complaints I read - and it is always pretty funny to read them from people who were posting regularly before they got their cars how the smart was the greatest thing since sliced bread and now they are oh so disappointed - for what you pay for them, I don't know how much more cost-effective the vehicle could be.

I am sure somewhere someone is trying to figure out a way to run the things on Mad Dog 20-20 or something, but God Bless this wonderful, Obsessive/Compulsive group here who have spent their time waiting for their cars building expectations beyond any reasonable limit and then the time after receiving same complaining about everything from the size of the key fob to trying to claim that they know more than the engineers that designed the darned things.

So, go on ahead and ignore the manual. Carry that over to other aspects of your life. You don't need an annual physical. Don't watch the sodium. You feel ok, right? Go ahead, plug in a few extra extension cords. Just what do those silly engineers know? You know it can handle it no problems!

I am entitled to do what I want, when I want, as long as it makes me happy!

I agree with you, its less than $2 extra per tank of gas. By comparison to other efficient cars on the market, I believe the cost per mile is still less than a yaris or civic. (I could be wrong, I'm not sure what real MPG people are getting in those) About the only gasoline car that costs less per mile would be the prius, for an extra $10-15K.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gasoline doesn't explode. It does burn rapidly, but not rapidly enough to be considered an explosion.
Under pressure in the cylinder head, that is exactly what an internal combustion engine does - the fuel does not "burn" it explodes when the air fuel mixture is ignited by the spark from the spark plug.

That is why the higher the octane you put into the the combustion chamber results in a hotter, cleaner explosion.

Perhaps a better understanding of how an internal combustion engine works would be helpful when deciding what shortcuts you are going to take when operating one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Under pressure in the cylinder head, that is exactly what an internal combustion engine does - the fuel does not "burn" it explodes when the air fuel mixture is ignited by the spark from the spark plug.

That is why the higher the octane you put into the the combustion chamber results in a hotter, cleaner explosion.

Perhaps a better understanding of how an internal combustion engine works would be helpful when deciding what shortcuts you are going to take when operating one.
Fuel burns. It does not explode. In a cylinder its refered to as flame propagation.
Higher octane fuels do not produce a "hotter-cleaner explosion". High octane resists detonation better. It also has lower energy per unit than regular fuel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Technically speaking it is a deflagration, but the air fuel mixture is placed under pressure and when the fuel is "burnt," then the resulting "rapid expansion (dare I call it an explosion) is what causes the power cycle to continue moving the piston with great force.

Higher octane fuel also allows one to run an engine with a higher compression ratio, which allows higher power outputs from the same displacement. Hence, a 1,000cc engine running 87 octane will generate less power than the same size engine using 91 octane.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Technically speaking it is a deflagration, but the air fuel mixture is placed under pressure and when the fuel is "burnt," then the resulting "rapid expansion (dare I call it an explosion) is what causes the power cycle to continue moving the piston with great force.

Higher octane fuel also allows one to run an engine with a higher compression ratio, which allows higher power outputs from the same displacement. Hence, a 1,000cc engine running 87 octane will generate less power than the same size engine using 91 octane.
When I was building bike motors the key was being able to run on the lower octane fuel.
Repeated dyno runs showed less power on higher octane fuel then the lower variety. However this was not always possible.
On my own ZX-11, I get more power from regular gas time and time again on the dyno. And its running 11-1.
My best dyno run was 133.6 hp at the wheel.
With premium fuel this consistently dropped to around 127.5 hp.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
In addition to light, delicate, highly sophisticated "slipper" pistons, the Mitsu 3B22 pistons are also "squish" design (which control burn rate and flame front). I'm sure that the Mitsu engineers know better than anyone what the proper fuel is to be.

·
Registered
801 Posts
fuel

In addition to light, delicate, highly sophisticated "slipper" pistons, the Mitsu 3B22 pistons are also "squish" design (which control burn rate and flame front). I'm sure that the Mitsu engineers know better than anyone what the proper fuel is to be.
And the Mitsu engineers recommend........ what? Just curious

·
Registered
590 Posts
higher octane fuels are more stable: higher octane fuels allows for greater compression of the air/fuel mix before ignition...this allows for higher power release from each burn cycle.

conversely, a lower octane fuel has a greater chance of autoignition while under pressure...and, therefore there is a greater chance of damaging "ping"...

in other words, just use 91...it's the fuel best suited to the smartmobile's engine design. you are not saving money by running an inappropriate low octane fuel...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Premium Gas Secret I was referring to...

Firstly, I am intrigued by the range of responses my little posting elicited!

My "Secret" is adding 1 oz of a mineral-oil based ester solution, Ethos FR, at each fill-up. It has been used widely in commercial & governmental fleets in U.S. & internationally for years - with stunning results. The Al Unsler family has fully endorsed Ethos & it is used at the Indy500. It has just recently entered the consumer market place.

Ethos FR:
• Increases fuel economy between 7-19%.
• Reduces toxic emissions by 30%.
• Improves your vehicle performance.
• Reduces maintenance costs.
• Cleans and lubricates engine parts.
• Reduces heat and friction.
• Works in any internal combustion engine.
• Works with any fuel.
• EPA lab tested as burning 99.9% clean.
• Safe for the environment.
• Non-toxic and non-hazardous.
• 100% natural and biodegradable.

So, no. My intention is not to be reckless with my beloved Smartie. :smartje.bl.zw:I am simply trying this very well-reviewed product. If you want to check Ethos out yourself (either for your Smartie, another gas-guzzler in your garage, or your business) just drop me a line.:type:

Thank you all for your interest.:)

Again: if anyone knows how I can reach SmartCar Corporate Offices, so I could enlist their assistance in testing this product, I would appreciate it.

Go SmartCar!

My best,
Kate

P.S.: Saw a brother SmartCar enthusiast on the road the other day with a bumper sticker on the back of his car:
BIG CAR (picture of SUV) = small penis​

There was a very happy looking 20-something guy driving the car!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.