Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago, while closing the top, we heard a noise and a couple of pieces of broken plastic dropped on our heads. The top is now not closing smoothly and I surmise that the broken plastic pieces are some sort of guide for the top. Anyone have any experience or parts drawings?

·
Registered
83 Posts
A couple months ago, while closing the top, we heard a noise and a couple of pieces of broken plastic dropped on our heads. The top is now not closing smoothly and I surmise that the broken plastic pieces are some sort of guide for the top. Anyone have any experience or parts drawings?
We've just had the same problem with our 2011 Cabrio. What was your fix?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I don't own a cabrio, but I have heard that the adjustment on them can be extremely tricky. Might be best done by a dealership. Then if any parts are broken or missing, they might have them on hand (or not)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ours still functions, but it's a bit jerky when closing. I imagine it will hang up one day.
That night we tried several times to get it closed and the passenger side kept hanging up. At 1st it would go all the way back on the 2nd button push but soon it stopped that. I came in the house to eat and post some threads hoping for an easy fix just to get it closed. When I went out later it closed all the way on my 1st try. It did chatter a lot on that side as it closed but so far its still closed. It hasn't rained yet to tell if it is water tight. It was dark by the time we were trying this. Hopefully this weekend I'll tinker with it a little.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
If the entire side rail is outrageously priced, take a careful look at both sides and compare them. See if you can see something different or not working right. There are likely some plastic clips and/or spring loaded parts that may have broken. One of us can look up the part number on the EPC if you find something broken. Often those small/cheap parts can be had separately.

Len
2014 EV

1 - 20 of 27 Posts