1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

Hope everyone is enjoying spring?

I had a customer that just bought a quad black cabrio
(black panels, black trideon, black brabus wheels, black leather interior)

He is very excited and will be joining SCOA soon (maybe already has?)

He had a few questions that I couldn't answer.

Convertible tops are now available in black (standard) blue and red.

How much would it cost to get a new top (just the fabric, not the whole mechanism)? I am currently running that one thru my parts manager.

AND

How much would it cost to get a CUSTOM convertible top (he is thinking a plaid scottish tartan)? That one is a little more difficult?

I know it is possible to swap the colors, but who does custom tops?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Any place that restores convertible tops can in all likely hood produce a custom top for the smart. I suspect they would just make a pattern from the original top.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought.
Anybody know a custom convertible top shop (one that you have used before and recommend)?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Convertible tops are now available in black (standard) blue and red.

How much would it cost to get a new top (just the fabric, not the whole mechanism)? I am currently running that one thru my parts manager.

AND

How much would it cost to get a CUSTOM convertible top (he is thinking a plaid scottish tartan)? That one is a little more difficult?

I know it is possible to swap the colors, but who does custom tops?
Obviously the easiest and least expensive would be to order and retrofit an OEM blue or red top.

A custom top will be significantly more expensive and would be best done by a craftsman style (old school) upholstery shop.

A couple shops in your area that have been around for years could likely do the job or point you in the right direction. Google is your friend:

Seatco in Northern, VA since 1976

www.seatco.com/

Sure-Fit 65 years in Arlington, VA

Sunroofs, Leather, Convertible Tops

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our convertible top stopped working it came up crooked and wouldn't close all the way. Took to the dealer and they say needs whole new top and cables etc. at a cost of 8100 dollars. It's a 2008 and not worth that kind of money in the first place. Are these disposable cars?

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Our convertible top stopped working it came up crooked and wouldn't close all the way. Took to the dealer and they say needs whole new top and cables etc. at a cost of 8100 dollars. It's a 2008 and not worth that kind of money in the first place. Are these disposable cars?
old thread, but If you own a cabriolet, you'd better be handy with a spanner! I'm thinking we need a crossblade conversion kit!:crying: I got convertible issues with my 450 as well -- I'm 100% sure the dealer won't even look at mine, so I guess you are lucky?

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
My top seems to be OK mechanically. But the fabric has separated from the frame at the front end. It has been duct taped (and re-duct taped repeatedly).

I bought a replacement top more than a year ago, which sits to this day in Mossy Head.
The front latches on the replacement top are closed and Kermit can't figure out how to get them open to install the replacement roof. I totally missed on on the just passed cabrio season, it's summer now.
I have visited the only four places locally which advertized convertible roof work. As I recall, 2 of them no longer do this type of work, having gone to boats and awnings only. And the other two refused to look at a smart.

Yep, pretty open ended ... both this post and the fabric on the front end of my car.
Still no solution.
======
Edit May 30: I'm buying some Gorilla Tape. I'd been advised against it as a possible threat to the paint on my Tridion. But, I've got to do something.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I just saw a video where a German guy replaces the roof. It didn't look terrible -- you might get some pointers from it -- he is reparieren Verdeck Heckteil (whatever that means!):

Maybe that will help... It's a 450, but my guess is they are pretty similar.

·
Registered
493 Posts
got a quote for a new top for my 450 complete $800 installed. thats material and install which is 75% of the cost.
seems getting it tite to look right is the major issue.

steveg

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
got a quote for a new top for my 450 complete $800 installed. thats material and install which is 75% of the cost.
seems getting it tite to look right is the major issue.

steveg
might be helpful to give the east-coasters the name of the place that did it, assuming you were happy with it!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I just looked at the procedure on how to replace the top. Wow. Dealer visit most likely required, unless you know someone with the fancy "diagnostic system" machine, whatever that is...

Getting a headache just looking at it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts