Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take my ICE truck in for servicing on Friday for a failed alternator and dead battery. It's ironic having to spend so much on repairs for a vehicle I so rarely drive. Alas, it's my masochism for trucks... :rolleyes:

I've known the mechanic for a little over a year since I've been taking the truck to him. He wasn't thrilled about me giving him a ride back to the shop after he dropped my truck off (I live < 0.5 mi from the shop), in my ED.

I had to ask him why he didn't like it. He said that Prius' and Nissan Leafs were underpowered and that it just made him think EVs sucked. So I gave him a demonstration of the kickdown.

His words "Ok, I'm convinced. You can really feel the acceleration!"

Exactly.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
"Conventional wisdom" just like "all Prius owners are self centered and trying to make a statement." Common sense ain't all that common, it turns out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
all Prius owners are self centered and trying to make a statement
I think this is why all the hatred on the road towards the Smarts. They think I am some tree huggin, go green fanatic or something. The only green I am trying to save is the dollars in my pocket :eek:. But most are too ignorant to get it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is why all the hatred on the road towards the Smarts. They think I am some tree huggin, go green fanatic or something. The only green I am trying to save is the dollars in my pocket :eek:. But most are too ignorant to get it.
I'm probably the one who's most ignorant. I assume that people are intelligent and curious, and are seeking to know more about life and how it works. I'm the eternal optimist, I just can't accept that people don't know and don't care.

I'm not a "tree hugger", if anything I'm a utilitarian. I'm not driving electric to save the planet, I'm driving electric because it's the most efficient use of electrical power.

I don't know the mechanic's experience with Prius' and Leafs, but in my person experience no Prius or Leaf that I have driven (and I have tried each model) has had as much power as the Smart ED. Of course the Prius has more range than most EVs, but they're not really built for street racing (of course neither is the Smart ED).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But, Prius' and Leaf's are not underpowered. What would make him believe such things?
Prior to the release of the (3rd Gen) Smart ED I was considering purchasing a Leaf. My wife currently owns a Prius (1st Gen), so I am aware of its "power".

I don't dislike either vehicle, but I don't think of either as maneuverable, easy to park, or powerful, by comparison to either the ED.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are comparatively between the Smart ED and the Leaf and Prius, Mr. Smart LA?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have Prii also (with 110k mile, it's now my teenage son's ride and mine for backup), and my assessment is "similar" performance with ED lot's more fun for first 0 to 50 or so, Prii better after that for touring on the highway. ED lot's more fun tossing around curves at 40 mph or so. ED (mine) is convertible, which to me means waaaay more fun and enjoyment in nice weather. No range anxiety with Prii, no green guilt compared to almost everything else on the highway (except EV's). ED hard on neck & back due to bumpiness of short wheelbase, Prii is comfy ride, no range anxiety at all, but boring and it carries the whole family of 4, plus one extra if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Prior to the release of the (3rd Gen) Smart ED I was considering purchasing a Leaf. My wife currently owns a Prius (1st Gen), so I am aware of its "power".

I don't dislike either vehicle, but I don't think of either as maneuverable, easy to park, or powerful, by comparison to either the ED.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts are comparatively between the Smart ED and the Leaf and Prius, Mr. Smart LA?
My thoughts of the smart EV versus the Leaf and Prius? MORE FUN for LESS $$.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Exactly!

Although I care about the environment too :]

Even my ICE smart lease would save money if it was electric, though. If only my apartment could support charging... :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
After toodling around in the ED for about a month and going back and forth into the Subaru (no I don't wear Berkinstocks!) I think I know why people tend to say that EV's aren't very powerful. It is because it is so effortless in its acceleration. You punch an ICE and it responds with this great roar and clatter and downshifts and you know you are booting it. In an EV it just happens - there is nothing alerting you to the degree of acceleration other than the pressure in your butt. That is until you notice that you just inserted into 40mph traffic and there is only two or three car lengths to the car in front of you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly!
It's not acceleration that "ordinary" people want, it's the by-product.

You could supply that with an mp3 soundtrack:)
And I am exactly the opposite. I like the not-roar of the electric motor. The Silent Speed, the quiet rocket. The Smart ED is a sleeper for all intents and purposes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts