Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 451 has 47K miles and the coolant has not had a change. After researching I'm confident to do it myself.

Just a few questions: When the hose on the head is taken out to get the air out is the engine supposed to run or is this done while the engine is off? Also after the old coolant is drained should I fill refill the radiator with distilled water and then flush it out again to help get rid of any remaining old coolant?

I'm going to play it safe and go w/ the Mercedes OEM 325 coolant that is in the specs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to get a tester... then figured what is the point of spending my limited funds if the coolant is pretty much 10 years old so it needs to get changed. Does anyone know if the car needs to run to get the air out?

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
...just because it is old it doesn't mean you have to replace it...
...my 09 has 60k miles....50k of those has been running hard with a hair dryer...from the Fl Keys to inferno hot Kansas and the cooling juice still test fine...

Jetfuel...just saying....

·
Registered
307 Posts
My 08 just roller over 55,000.
Checked to be sure it wouldn't freeze as I live where it does.
Most of the time I believe if it's not broken, well one lest thing to worry about although maintenance is a good thing.
Personally I would worry more about getting the air out/bleeding the system than I would about the antifreeze going bad!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
An air bubble will always rise to the highest point in an engine, unless it is trapped by a thermostat or something. I bled mine before I started it, then ran it for a while to warm it up and bled it again. Didn't have any air the second time, but when I filled it the first time, it sat for a few days before I started it up. (I was adding other components at the time and it was a bit cold working on it)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...just because it is old it doesn't mean you have to replace it...
...my 09 has 60k miles....50k of those has been running hard with a hair dryer...from the Fl Keys to inferno hot Kansas and the cooling juice still test fine...

Jetfuel...just saying....

Just tested it and the tester indicated that its just fine so I guess I'm not in a rush to do it.

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
I am of the school that services a car's systems when the factory maintenance schedule indicates. A coolant change will cost me under twenty bucks every three years or so. I'm not sure that a test of the coolant will tell you about additives like water pump lube, corrosion and cavitation protection, etc. It's just cheap insurance for me. My newest Mercedes had 15 year/150,000 mile coolant. It contained a chemical packet in the cooling system that was depleted slowly over time. I don't think the ICE Smarts have such a thing, but they do use the same coolant AFAIK. Not sure what their recommended service interval is.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 13,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 2,500 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm worried that scalding hot coolant will squirt out when I remove the header hose to get rid of trapped air. I'm assuming the a/c should be on hot max setting and the reservoir cap should be off. Is that correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts