Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just bought a 2013 smart car fortwo with only 27,000 miles on it

When I bought the car it was low on coolant all ready no completely gone but hovering around the Min Mark so I went and got it serviced at jiffy lube new oil and topped off the coolant that was 2 weeks ago ..

Everyday after I got my service I always pretrip inspect the car before work I started to notice it would lose a little bit of coolant

When I look on the ground there is no visible leaks today the car now is getting closer and closer to the Min Mark in the reservoir

Car is not overheating or driving weird it actually is driving perfect no warning lights or anything

-Checked Oil dipstick looks normal no coolant mixed

-Checked coolant looks clean (No Oil mixed in it)

- No White Smoke coming out of the exhaust

- No antifreeze smell or liquid in exhaust

Looking for some suggestions to what it might be could it be the reservoir cap or leaking from a hose somewhere or does this sound like a bigger problem??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check it when the car is hot. When the car is cool it dips down. Mine was on minimum the other day when car was warm I opened the cap and it went up to normal

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
check at some of the local auto parts stores for a coolant pressure tester You can pump up the pressure in the system and check for leaks. It may show a leak that may not show when the pressure is lower. Also you can watch the gauge and see if it drops indicating a leak.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't think you have a problem at all. Both of our 451's hover around the minimum mark when cool. As long as the reservoir has coolant in at near the minimum mark, you are good. It is, however, a good idea to make sure the cap is tight to prevent coolant loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bro thank you so much i was going crazy the last week thinking something was wrong with my car

Im looking at the coolant now when the engine is heated up and now it's sitting right at the max line I had no idea this was normal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts