Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 Smart Car for two Passion. Is the coolant resevoir immediately to the right of the window washer resevoir? If so, isn't the coolant supposed to be blue? My fluid is clear if I'm checking the right place. Does Carquest or Napa have the Zerex G05 or G48 coolant and if so is it okay to use these coolants. I know the spec is MB 325 and the part number is BQ 1 03 0004. Is this something I can only purchase at the Mercedes dealer? :nerd::think::burnout:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
"I know the spec is MB 325 and the part number is BQ 1 03 0004. Is this something I can only purchase at the Mercedes dealer?"

Nope. Federal law REQUIRES them to provide any products specified by brand name, such as the special, very high priced, transmission oil, or other products like MB325 for free for the life of the car. It's why Ford doesn't tell you you HAVE to use Ford oil ONLY, or else, to get out of warranty payments. Smart has no waivers on file to exempt them from any of the provisions of the law, which is here:

15 U.S. Code § 2302 - Rules governing contents of warranties | LII / Legal Information Institute

"(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest."

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,904 Posts
I drive a 2008 Smart Car for two Passion. Is the coolant resevoir immediately to the right of the window washer resevoir? If so, isn't the coolant supposed to be blue? My fluid is clear if I'm checking the right place. Does Carquest or Napa have the Zerex G05 or G48 coolant and if so is it okay to use these coolants. I know the spec is MB 325 and the part number is BQ 1 03 0004. Is this something I can only purchase at the Mercedes dealer? :nerd::think::burnout:
You drive a 2008 smart fortwo passion...

Type the word "coolant" into the box above that says

Google Custom Search

Lots of good reading .. :wink:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
NAPA can order G-05 if it is not in stock. That's where I get mine the past couple years. I use it in my older Benz autos and will use it in the smart.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It could be that your car has been converted to a waterless propylene glycol coolant which is clear. It is a good thing. Permanent, no water.

Your 2008 is now out of warranty. You might consider a waterless coolant such as Evans. Being waterless, oxidation is no longer an issue. Boiling point of water is also no longer an issue. The boiling point of Evans is about 360 degrees so micro-nucleation or bubbles on a hot surface don't happen. Also no pressure system, won't evaporate or boil over when hot.

Here is their link :Home » Engine Cooling Systems

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the coolant reservoir next to the window washer solution? I drive a 2008 Smart for two passion.:wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts