Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 Smart Car For Two Passion. What coolant do I use? Is the Mercedes dealer the only place to purchase the coolant for the vehicle? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
There is at least one brand in Canada that is formulated for the smart and sold at Canadian Tire. I would expect one of the box auto stores in the US to carry something equivalent.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The most common coolant available locally is probably Zerex G05 or G48 European formula coolant. It is called out on the Mercedes coolant spec sheet 325.0 for anti-freeze coolant. European cars use a different formulation than Domestic or Asian engines. It has to do with concentration of or lack of silicates and phosphates. Technical crap. Principles involved far beyond our meager comprehension. :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Fixing up our W201 for use as it has a severe coolant leak, I have been researching alternatives to waiting for FCP Euro to ship Mercedes 325.0 coolant to me. They had to go and make things complicated:

MB 310.1 - Coolant Specifications - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids
MB's list of approved 325.0 coolants:
MB 325.0 - Anticorrosion/antifreeze agents (Specification 325.0) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

@NAPA
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ZRX859537

@O'Reilly
Antifreeze/Coolant Zerex G48-50/50 - Engine Coolant/Antifreeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

~toaster

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I wish it were so simple.

I don't see G-05 anymore.

After April '14 build month they are using 325.6, or what seems to be pre-diluted 326.6.

These are noted as non-miscible/mixable between the sheet #s !

Also Zerex G-48 concentrated is on 325.0, but NOT on the pre-diluted 326.0....

What a headache!!!!!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I usually sort things out and then post here, but it's gonna take some careful consideration....

(My household's latest are '12 builds, but for those that have a 453 they most likely have the "pink" stuff. And no, not a good idea to mix in the blue/or is that green? says the mildly red green color blind man).....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I like the Peak Global Lifetime product. It is good, if you do a complete flush and change. (Provides a warranty, which I like). But I don't know if it is advisable to use it as a top off, or replacement after losing some, just in the cases of complete flush and fill (complete replacement).

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
I try to never use any fluids that don't meet the manufacturers' specs. As for coolant, if a non-diluted coolant is on the list, it's easy enough to just dilute it yourself.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 700 miles

25 Posts
Pentofrost-NF
EuroPeak Coolant Anti freeze
Mobil GS 333 Extra
Valvoline Antifreeze Extra
Zerex G05
Zerex G48

All of these are non diluted. I personally use pentofrost because I used it in my vw forever and never had any problems. The brand. Not the same coolant.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I need a break from dealing with my personal smart stuff. (Went to pick up my accessories yesterday, and update what's left in the car with the adjuster). I may have seen it for the last time...

Pentofrost-NF X
EuroPeak Coolant Anti freeze X
Mobil GS 333 Extra Yes For Builds up to and including April '14
Valvoline Antifreeze Extra X
Zerex G05 X
Zerex G48 Yes For Builds up to and including April '14

All the "X"s are not on any of the lists: 325.0, 326.0, 325.6, and 326.6

MB 325.0 - Anticorrosion/antifreeze agents (Specification 325.0) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

MB 326.0 - Premixed coolant (Specification 326.0) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

MB 325.6 - Anticorrosion/antifreeze agents (Specification 325.6) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

MB 326.6 - Premixed coolant (Specification 326.6) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

325.6 (concentrated) and 326.6 (premixed) may be used in April '14 and prior builds, but only if flushed clean of the other sheet #s

"Coolants or antifreezes with corrosion inhibitor that are listed on different sheet numbers in tables 1 and 2 must not be mixed, as a considerably reduced corrosion protection may damage the cooling system. In general, mixtures of different antifreezes with corrosion inhibitor offer a lesser performance than the specially adapted active components of a formulation."

See Table 3 here:

MB 310.1 - Coolant Specifications - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

I've seen G-05 before. I think it is BMW coolant. I remember one "G-xx" is compatible for both Mercedes and BMW, while the other is just for BMW. G-48 might just be the one good for both.

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
GO5 has been approved for Mercedes for years from the 70's or so into the 2000's. Not sure when/if it became not approved.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 11,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 700 miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts