Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My radiator cooling fan might go "ADIOS" any time soon, does any one has its part Number?
also, a place where i can purchase it without getting rape...on the budged

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Are you planning on doing the work yourself? Or taking it to a shop? If you're doing it yourself, I recommend you remove the cooling fan prior to having a replacement part so you can match what you need. Pull the entire fan surrounding out and carry it with you to an auto parts store. You might find a universal fit that will work.

They are also all over ebay.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Sounds like a dry bearing. probably more work than it is worth to get to it. I added a fan in front of the radiator and disconnected the stock one. around $60 for the fan and it worked until I lost the motor (unrelated) I would do it again in a heartbeat rather than pull the whole front off including radiator, condenser and header just to get at the fan. Then you have to charge the AC and coolant system... Pain in the ... bucket seat area!

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
... I added a fan in front of the radiator and disconnected the stock one. around $60 for the fan ...
I remember that and thought it was a nifty job. I went in search of the thread, intending to put a link to it here, but couldn't find it. The OP might find it helpful.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

https://youtu.be/i3-E3qFdlKQ

fan got worst, any ways found a local mechanic that works on smarts and benz.
so far he quote me $500, needless to say , i know its a pain in the rear to get to it. so not sure how much it would be in total. i will keep you posted on its outcome.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I can tell you it is a serious pain to get to. I replaced my fan this last winter when the front end got damaged with a run in with a deer (now deceased) the whole front end has to come off. That includes the front frame that holds everything including both radiator and condenser, which means draining the coolant and refrigerant. Adding a pusher fan in front of the radiator is a cheaper and faster fix. I did that in less time and it worked just fine. it is also not noticeable from the outside or even from under the hood unless you specifically look for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts