Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:
Just got pulled over last weekend for driving thru a dark yellow light (driving at night in an unfamiliar small town... didn't have time to hit the brakes before crossing thru the intersection). First time getting stopped for anything while driving the smart.

Question for the rest of you (since my traffic ticket can't be that intriguing): any experience with enforcement while driving your smart?

Previously, I drove a plain Ford Focus and never got pulled over for anything at all. I have a theory that cops have bingo cards, and smart cars are on their to-do list, if you know what I mean. Especially in small towns, smarts aren't that common.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I got a ticket for the same thing in January 2008 – I believe it was the first ticket ever given to a smart driver in the US. A stale yellow light, no time to brake.

I got the city engineering studies, and proved that at the posted speed limit the light didn't stay yellow long enough for me to clear the lane. I won my case.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had a cop stop me and ask me about my smart :). He couldn't believe that they are used by law enforcement in some countries.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I have had mine since March 2008 and I have never been pulled over by a police officer. There are times I have gone over the speed limit (not intentionally, of course. :) ) but have not been pulled over. Perhaps they don't realize a car that size could go that fast? :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Especially in small towns, smarts aren't that common.
Believe it or not, there are 4 smarts in the little farm town(population 1300) that we live in. Mine, my gf's, a green pure and a blue cabrio. I don't think there are 4 more in the 50 miles around us. LOL

So the 2 cops here in town don't even look twice at us. :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No tickets in over 20 years :spots:
that's good, but how many times were you stopped 0:)

I did get pulled over for running a red light and when the cop came to my window he told me that every time he sees a smart they are running red lights.....he did not ticket me.:)

·
17,350 Posts
One ticket, two warnings.

The first occurrence was in October of 2012. I was going 61 in a 45 zone. The officer was a big Top Gear fan and liked the car, so let me off with the bare minimum speeding ticket.

The second occurrence was in April of 2013. I was performing drifts and cheerios on a massive oil slick in my college's parking lot. The responding officer was laughing so hard he just wrote me a silly worded warning and told me to continue my shenanigans at the abandoned Wal-Mart in the town over.

The third occurrence was May of this year after I installed blue LEDs into my license plate lights and parking lights. He asked about my MPG then urged me to change the colour of my LEDs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The second occurrence was in April of 2013. I was performing drifts and cheerios on a massive oil slick in my college's parking lot. The responding officer was laughing so hard he just wrote me a silly worded warning and told me to continue my shenanigans at the abandoned Wal-Mart in the town over.
Drifts and cheerios... :rofl: Love it! On an unrelated note - an abandoned Walmart!? I didn't know that happened.

-----

I've got a ticket story for this thread.

I received a ticket from a Trooper out in the hick / redneck / farmer part of Upstate New York that insisted I was doing 51mph up a very steep hill. I actually laughed when I told him it wasn't possible and he got flustered like he didn't know what to say. He told me that he could show me the readout in his cruiser and I agreed to take a look.

It was a little digital box with the number 51 on it in red. Nothing else. I asked him how he could guarantee it was my car that number applied to in a line of traffic? (Which was in no way doing +50mph up this hill.) He said he was pointing right at me. I said since he's the Trooper, I believe he was right, but I don't think it was me. He said ok, give me a minute and step back to your car.

He came back and said he wasn't going to give me a ticket, but he then asked if my windows were tinted... *mumble grumble*

I said I think they are, but I just got the car from a well-known local dealer chain, and this is the way it came. I also told him I know the car came from Florida, and any tint wasn't my doing. Didn't matter! He happily whipped out a new toy of his, plopped it on the edge of my window, and goes yup, they're too dark.

So I got a fix-it-ticket. From some Trooper out in the boonies. I had to go back there to fight it, and the Judge tossed it out telling me it was ridiculous, but I still had to pay court fees and schlep of about $65.

I brought everything I had to the sister of the head of the car dealership chain here, and explained it all - including that they sold me a car with illegal window tint that they made no attempt to remove or replace, and didn't even notify me of it. She said she had to verify everything to make sure I was on the up & up, but she'd get back to me.

2 days later, I get a check in the mail covering the $65, an apology letter, and an offer to have my car un-tinted for free.

Moral of the story... The windows still have the same tint, and no Police Officer, Trooper or Sheriff has ever made a fuss over it in any of the cities that I frequently drive around. Only in the boonies - where trucks, banjos and cows are necessities for life.

I know without a doubt I was cherry-picked because I was in a Smart. :smartje.bl.zl:

Oh well. Personal victory for me, anyway!

I was also pulled over once locally because the Cop never saw a Smart up close and had all sorts of questions. We chatted for a while, he told me he appreciated my time and have a good day - and those tinted windows existed then. *sigh*

Man, that was a lot of typing in a short time.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
In the US I have recieved one speeding ticket and one warning about a tail light out.

I would never have been stopped in Ontario for doing 11 mph over the limit on a highway.

·
17,350 Posts
Drifts and cheerios... :rofl: Love it! On an unrelated note - an abandoned Walmart!? I didn't know that happened.
I had a friend in the car and told the officer (who was still laughing):
"This is my mechanic friend, we're trying to diagnose some odd noise coming from a CV joint." :rofl2:

The Wal-Mart moved to a much much much larger location a few miles down the road. Since Wal-Mart moved out the only three stores that remain (in a shopping centre that used to consist of Wal-Mart, Dominick's, and 18 other stores) are a Chinese restaurant, a beauty supply store, and a Sear's Optical.

And right across the street? A closed K-Mart...Meijer was supposed to move in but backed out after seeing what Wal-Mart did to the area.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Wal mart shut down a store in Quebec that had unionized....so it does happen. Maybe not for the reasons one might expect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts